• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My Flintlock Gun Rack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbwilliams3

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My current trio of flintlocks. I've bought/commissioned/sold/traded over the years but never had more than three flintlocks at a time. The top rifle is technically my oldest son's. Mike Lange made it for my son when he was around 2. He's still only 9 and just getting to the point where he can shoot it off hand. It's a .45. The bottom two were made by Roy Stroh. Fowling piece is .69 cal with a 48-inch Charles Burton barrel and a Davis lock. The bottom rifle is a .54 with a 44-inch Burton rifle and a Chambers round-faced lock. That gun is loosely based on the Faber rifle. Top shot pouch was made by me (just this weekend actually to replace one I made and recycled to my son). Bottom pouch was made by James Rogers.
1.jpg

I wish I could display my guns in my house but fear if I did a crack head might happen by and make off with them. I have way to much work in making them to even think about one being sold on the street for $25 or so. A custom order gun safe works for me, it may or may not keep my guns safe from intruders but it gives me peace of mind.

I wish I could display my guns in my house but fear if I did a crack head might happen by and make off with them. I have way to much work in making them to even think about one being sold on the street for $25 or so. A custom order gun safe works for me, it may or may not keep my guns safe from intruders but it gives me peace of mind.

Without a doubt, that is always a risk. The vast majority of my guns are locked up. I’m blessed to be able to live in a rural area which hasn’t had any crime. I built a house two years ago on land my wife grew up on. Everywhere else I’ve lived as an adult has been a slightly higher risk. Though I never had problems, I always locked ‘em up and insured everything. Not saying a break-in can’t happen where I live now

Nice rifles, I hope you can keep them. I lived way out in the sticks in Montana when I kept my guns in a rack, went to town and was back before dark and ten of them were gone. First thing I bought after that was a safe. The one rifle they missed and the pistol I was carrying went in it. Never again will they get a easy score.
FF6C53BE-0B82-4AD0-BDE9-9D6214DA43AB by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I saw a couple of videos where guys cut through the sides of these safes with an angle grinder in about 10 minutes! I don't know what's safe anymore! I'm sorry I got side tracked on the post. Those are very nice looking guns there and the best part is, is that you have your family invoved in the shooting sports! Tally Hoe!

I have 3 dogs, they even protect us from the garbage truck. Being that I am retired and my wife works from home the times my house is unoccupied are far and few between. By the way my dogs are not vicious, but big enough and loud enough to be very scary to the unknowing. We also have home owners insurance, and live n a rural area. heck I have black bears coming through the yard.

I have 3 dogs, they even protect us from the garbage truck. Being that I am retired and my wife works from home the times my house is unoccupied are far and few between. By the way my dogs are not vicious, but big enough and loud enough to be very scary to the unknowing. We also have home owners insurance, and live n a rural area. heck I have black bears coming through the yard.

In addition to my dogs, homeowners insurance, home security system and rural location, my only neighbor is our friend who retired onto the farm and rides around all day on the tractor/4 wheeler armed. Someone would literally have to get into a gun fight in order to get in my house and that's when I'm not home.

The duplex I lived in about 36 years ago was broken into once, the thief stood on my labs doghouse to break out a bedroom window in the back to get in. I am sure my lab was licking his face as he climbed up.

A buddy of mine is a cop in the Cincinnati Ohio area. He currently is directed to make fewer traffic stops, but says the number of robberies has increased dramatically. So, IMO, to advertise your firearms or whatever has value is a bit ill-advised. I like the idea of a big dog, however my boy died last fall, so I guess I will have to depend on the other pets, Glock and Kimber.

Thanks to everyone on the notices about breakins and robberies. I anticipated that a bit. Like I said - I live on farmland that is essentially never without an armed person roaming around, in addition to a security system. I don't live in downtown Cincinati Ohio, with all due respect. If someone wanted to break into my home, they would literally have to enter into a shootout to get to my locked up firearms or to the guns I sometimes have displayed for my family's viewing pleasure. If I'm not home - or in the rare instance that my wife is not home - they would still have to enter through a security system and be held up at gun point by my neighbor - the only neighbor around and who is constantly armed. Also, I have all my valuables insured.

My current trio of flintlocks. I've bought/commissioned/sold/traded over the years but never had more than three flintlocks at a time. The top rifle is technically my oldest son's. Mike Lange made it for my son when he was around 2. He's still only 9 and just getting to the point where he can shoot it off hand. It's a .45. The bottom two were made by Roy Stroh. Fowling piece is .69 cal with a 48-inch Charles Burton barrel and a Davis lock. The bottom rifle is a .54 with a 44-inch Burton rifle and a Chambers round-faced lock. That gun is loosely based on the Faber rifle. Top shot pouch was made by me (just this weekend actually to replace one I made and recycled to my son). Bottom pouch was made by James Rogers.
View attachment 27368
Very nice. I'd let your son keep that rifle for the rest of his life. Maybe someday he hands it down. It would make a great gift....... again!

Just an awesome collection! So awesome that the metal tool box need some wood verneers or a ball peen finish. At the very least a buffalo hide ir horse blanket...... something like that

lol. I hear ya. My display is in my shop and sort of morphed into a thing that encroached on my gunbuilding bench that’s in that corner.

Back