• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

my first

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snidervolley

40 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_2824_zps4deadae2.jpg

my first built cannon built for me on the fourth of july for making noise , found the barrel undrilled and rusty for twenty bucks , got the 2inch thick black walnut from a friend for free .
made the rest (1 inch bore)
took it to a show to show it off and a guy kept bugging me to buy it and i kept saying no till he hit 750 and held it out SOLD and bin building cannons since

Looks good, I'd buy rusty barrels like that for 20 bucks all day long! wish I could find one....

If you are selling that for $750, you are selling way, way, too cheap.
The carriage, if properly made, is worth at least that much.
Zulu

So, what do you think would be a more realistic "market price" for the above?

I have a similar gun (1/6 scale 42 pounder) with a 24" tube, and 1.00" bore with the tube made by Ed at HMR Cannons. I made the carriage out of quarter-sawn white oak. I probably had about $500 in it;
Tube and accessories, $400
Carrige $75
consumables $25

I have sold properly made carriages like that for $1000.
Zulu

Just the carriage.
There is a lot involved in a properly made carriage.
The side cheeks are tapered so the trunnion pockets and all through bolt holes have to be drilled at an angle.
The trunnion bolts have to run vertically through the side cheeks and the axle.
The rear axle is also held on with bolts through the side cheeks.
All the hardware has to be home made. You can't get this stuff at Home Depot.

Anyone that uses lag bolts in a gun carriage is taking a pretty serious shortcut. :idunno:

Here is one I got $1000 for. It is a garrison carriage but you can see the amount of work that goes in to one. This carriage is about the same size as the one pictured above.
Zulu

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

Having built only 1 carriage, I know how long that one took me. Granted, there was a fair amount of "learning curve" stuff in there, but I was also already a pretty accomplished woodworker, and it still took a solid 40 hours when you add it all up

Im on my 4th carriage learning all the time what works what doesnt im limited to my array of tools and talents still takes me agood40+ work hours get a base carriage biult

Latest posts

Back