• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first time building a muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do NOT use a saw or something like that to undercut the thick part of the tab so you can start the rear of it bending sooner! If you do, and try it, the front of the tang (attached to the tab) will have leverage when it bends and contacts the part that isn't while you are bending, and the whole front might break off. I tried that (also shortening the tab in the back with a grinder) and had that exact thing happen. It was a mess to get it all welded back in place at just the right angles.

It's axiomatic, but it seems the part of gun building that takes the most thought and time are fixing the things that you didn't think through, and didn't take your time on---tried to rush.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information I will continue on as I have not drilled yet taking my time and enjoying building the rifle everyone here has helped me on this journey as a good friend said its not about the destination but its the journey. when gets more done I post pictures with the progress

Back in the late 1970's I built my first rifle from a Sharon Hawken kit. Lordy. It was nothing like the CVA kits I saw! It took me a considerable amount of time to finish. There were times I tired of working on it and let it be for a while. I had convinced myself I was going to take the time to make it as good as I could, even though I had limited building skills. I had seen a couple of other similar kits that did not take the time to do some of the detail work and it showed. To this day, I continue to use this rifle on a regular basis. I am glad I took the time, then. Hopefully you will do so, too.

First rifle I ever built was at age 13, Sharon Trade Rifle kit.
One learns a lot..

Sorry I havent posted in a while life had gotten in the way and the project was put on hold I have now finished the rifle here it is finished

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg