• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My first shots ever with a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Got my Traditions Kentucky rifle kit about 95% done, just a few small details to shore up. I was at a point where I could take it out for a test fire, because after two months of working on this on and off I was itching to fire my first flint shots ever. Loaded it up with 50 grs. of Goex FFG and a .490" RB with a .015" pre lubed pillow ticking patch. Didn't have any FFFFG for the pan so "straight from the horn" FFG was used to prime the pan.

That first shot went off like nothing I'd had experienced before; the "Woosh..Boom !" was a fraction of a second , but in my mind it felt like slow motion. As I fired more shots, I tweaked the pan load and found if I went a little light I'd get a flash in the pan, but a "full" pan of 2F fired perfectly every time. The French Amber flint gave me good spark with no misfires. At 25 yards I made a one ragged hole ,5 shot group dead center 3" high at 25 yds.. I need to file down the rear sight a little to get it closer to 1 1/2" high for a 75 yds. zero.

I'll play around with the sights and load more once I get the build buttoned up. I know I sound like a newbie gushing, but man that was a new experience for me and I liked it. Don't know why I waited so long to make the leap. A full report with pictures of the build will be coming soon, I just couldn't wait to share my experience with you guys. Carry on gentlemen.

Sounds good. And so it begins….. Take it to 50 yards next. And I would just leave the sights alone until you have close to 100 shots or so down range. Will keep you working on shooting form and group size, not chasing POI. Later on, if you want a 75 zero, adjust the sights when you are shooting at 75 yards. Will give you trigger time and plenty to smile about.

Sounds good. And so it begins….. Take it to 50 yards next. And I would just leave the sights alone until you have close to 100 shots or so down range. Will keep you working on shooting form and group size, not chasing POI. Later on, if you want a 75 zero, adjust the sights when you are shooting at 75 yards. Will give you trigger time and plenty to smile about.
Good advice, as I do tend to get ahead of myself sometimes.

Kyron 4......Careful.......Try to sight the rifle in at 50 Yds. Get the best group first. Get some FFFG black , say 80 Gr. , .490 diam. balls, w/.012 to .014 patching. Some folks use FFFG in the pan in lieu of FFFFG primer. I like the later. :D :).......Finish your gun first. FUN to ya !!!

Congrats, Kyron. The first black powder shots from a rifle you made is quite memorable. We are looking forward to seeing photos of the rifle when you are finished.

During your next range trip, retrieve a few of your fired patches. They provide useful info on how the rifle is performing.

You're hooked now. Yes, work up a very good load before you touch the sights. To raise the poi you need to file down the front sight. If you file the rear your poi will be lower. Check the vent hole in the liner and see that it's 1/16". If not get the proper drill bit and do it yourself. Be sure to post photos of the rifle.

Probably everyone remembers their first shot...or misfire in my case.
Self taught (via reading) but my first shot was a “flash in the pan.” Looking back on it I didn’t clean the touchhole prior to shooting that probably had oil in it so it was a bit of a let down. But the next trigger pull and the “whoosh-bang” made me an “expert” ;) and devoted fan.

Got my Traditions Kentucky rifle kit about 95% done, just a few small details to shore up. I was at a point where I could take it out for a test fire, because after two months of working on this on and off I was itching to fire my first flint shots ever. Loaded it up with 50 grs. of Goex FFG and a .490" RB with a .015" pre lubed pillow ticking patch. Didn't have any FFFFG for the pan so "straight from the horn" FFG was used to prime the pan.

That first shot went off like nothing I'd had experienced before; the "Woosh..Boom !" was a fraction of a second , but in my mind it felt like slow motion. As I fired more shots, I tweaked the pan load and found if I went a little light I'd get a flash in the pan, but a "full" pan of 2F fired perfectly every time. The French Amber flint gave me good spark with no misfires. At 25 yards I made a one ragged hole ,5 shot group dead center 3" high at 25 yds.. I need to file down the rear sight a little to get it closer to 1 1/2" high for a 75 yds. zero.

I'll play around with the sights and load more once I get the build buttoned up. I know I sound like a newbie gushing, but man that was a new experience for me and I liked it. Don't know why I waited so long to make the leap. A full report with pictures of the build will be coming soon, I just couldn't wait to share my experience with you guys. Carry on gentlemen.
hold off on filing your sights! First try adjusting your powder charge. I found that out to 75 yards, my 54 cal flintlock is more accurate and consistent with a 80 grain charge of Goex ffg than it is with a 50 grain charge of the same powder, everything else equal. Since you never know what powder you may be able to find in the future, it's probably best to adjust your aim per any given powder charge and type rather than permanently altering your sight. Once you file the sight you can never go back without replacing it

hold off on filing your sights! First try adjusting your powder charge. I found that out to 75 yards, my 54 cal flintlock is more accurate and consistent with a 80 grain charge of Goex ffg than it is with a 50 grain charge of the same powder, everything else equal. Since you never know what powder you may be able to find in the future, it's probably best to adjust your aim per any given powder charge and type rather than permanently altering your sight. Once you file the sight you can never go back without replacing it
Great advice here…

It's been a few months so I'm sure you're sorted now. But for any new people into flintlocks might be handy.

When I bought my first one I had nothing to go off other than what I'd read online as I don't have any BP hunting friends. It was a roll of the dice as to whether the gun would go off at all each shot. You just need to keep practicing and tweaking. Often there is nothing wrong with the lock, just the operator. I had to figure out how to prime properly (early on I had too much or not enough), how and when to sharpen flints, how to maintain everything etc.

Now, I'm surprised when my guns don't fire and looking for what's wrong. I have 3 centrefires sitting in my safe and none has seen action in the last two years. Even my poor old caplock is hollering for a walk in the woods!

Flintlocks are an addiction, one I hope I keep for life.

Back