• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My first powder horn build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jotto626 said:
I will be doing some scrimshaw also.

You have a very nice horn there as it is. Before you do the scrimshaw, do some research on scrimshaw that has been done on horns of the period. I have seen some horns that get some very nice but very modern looking scrimshaw that looks so out of place on a horn being used with a muzzle loader. I prefer a plain horn to one with the modern looking image of a deer, bear or wolf.

A map horn would be quite fitting with your name or some motto in a period font.

Grenadier1758 said:
Jotto626 said:
I will be doing some scrimshaw also.

You have a very nice horn there as it is. Before you do the scrimshaw, do some research on scrimshaw that has been done on horns of the period. I have seen some horns that get some very nice but very modern looking scrimshaw that looks so out of place on a horn being used with a muzzle loader. I prefer a plain horn to one with the modern looking image of a deer, bear or wolf.

A map horn would be quite fitting with your name or some motto in a period font.

"Horn of the period? ........What period?"

With you installing that Tresco brass filling plug in the butt plug (yes, that's what their called), you already put this powder horn as a modern contemporary type horn, so any engraving is strictly your choice.

If you are shooting for a strictly historic looking powder horn the old horn makers wouldn't of had that brass plug. That type came on the market in the 1980's, but if that isn't important to you, make it the way you like it! It's your horn my friend!

Rick

A rusty staple certainly would have been easier. I thought the brass would go well with a little brass on a rifle. I am a bit uneducated in the period correct dept. as many of you have pointed out. Im not a reenactor....just like to make stuff.

Back