• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My first Pietta…issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MidWay is the manure shoot of all manure shoots, I do honestly believe they buy the Factory Blems and Seconds which is why thir prices are so low
Well, I just got a Cimarron/Uberti 1873 from Midway and the darn thing is just super gorgeous and cheaper than anyone else and free shipping. The finish is outstanding, the action is buttery smooth and the grips fit like a glove on the frame. If Midway gets seconds then it didn’t happen this time but then again you may be right.

Well, I just got a Cimarron/Uberti 1873 from Midway and the darn thing is just super gorgeous and cheaper than anyone else and free shipping. The finish is outstanding, the action is buttery smooth and the grips fit like a glove on the frame. If Midway gets seconds then it didn’t happen this time but then again you may be right.
I've gotten some really good ones from Midway recently too, it seems most of the major issues reported are Midway guns

However, we need to keep in mind that most people who got good guns from Midway don't go online and post about them or even use online forums. But I've seen people join this forum and on post #1 they're blasting Midway about a gun , so we have to take bad reports with a grain of salt

The "reviews" on Dixie are entertaining at times too......

I bought a .357 Uberti Model 1873 made in 2022 and it's awesome. No signs of "post pandemic " production on that one

Sorry to say that most of Europe appears to have made some headway on the route to a life without weapons.
In Germany, getting caught carrying a knife with over 12 cm (4.7 ") blade length in public will get you in trouble. Some European companies who used to produce respectable muzzleloaders (and other guns) for decades have now already discontinued making those. On top of the list Feinwerkbau, makers of a fine replica of the Rogers & Spencer cap and ball sixgun, and also a very well made underhammer percussion pistol.
I bought my R&S made by Feinwerkbau back in 1988 for then 1200 Deutsche Mark, Italian made sixguns etc. were at about 300 Mark in those days, some even cheaper. I had been shooting that R&S in competitions ever since, about 300 shots each year, without any problems, till last year its trigger sear finally was worn out. I had to learn that Feinwerkbau had already discontinued its line of BP guns (they still make top grade air rifles), and that I was lucky to get a hammer and a trigger out of their last remaining stock of parts. This repair cost me the equivalent of 500 Dollars. Better than spending 400 for a brand-new piece of Italian soft steel junk.
I always say, it's better to buy the Best once than mediocre junk 10 times

I lucked out, too. The 1851 5" barrel I bought from Midway was nice and came in a Taylor's box and cloth bag.

I have only fairly recently gotten seriously into BP and when I jump into just about anything I do so with both feet. I started out with an 1858 Remington Sheriff, then a 3rd model Dragoon (both Uberti) and lastly 2 ROA, one stainless, one blued.

So I ordered the cheapest Pietta from Midway. An 1851 Navy-ish, brasser. I knew that it was a low end price point model as it had no Navy roll engraving on the cylinder, the grip is black plastic and of course the brass frame, which is not highly polished. I was okay with all of that due to the price of $234, and free shipping code.

I know that many posts tell of Piettas being of superior build quality, here are the issues I have with the Pietta:

1 - The wedge was not inserted deep enough for the wedge spring to pop up on the other side of the barrel. In fact it had been driven in so hard at the factory that it took several good whacks with punch and hammer to remove it. It is stamped with a number 3 on the bottom which I assume was the choice of the person who assembled it (assuming the number has something to do with proper fit). Anyway I had to file one edge down to get it to fit correctly.

2 - The barrel was difficult to remove, when reinstalling it I had to tap the muzzle with a plastic mallet to get it to seat properly. I removed and replaced it several times so I could get a nice shiny spot(s) on the arbor so could lightly sand those high spots down. Using 320 grit paper I removed the high spots until I could seat the barrel by hand.

3 - upon removal of the cylinder I noticed bluing salts had cooked out and surrounded one of the nipples. I decided to remove all of the nipples for cleaning. Two of them were clogged with bluing salts and the one that had salts around the outside of it was not even screwed in all the way, it just spun off with no effort.

4 - I disassembled the remaining parts of the frame. The roller on the hammer did not rotate. I drove out its pin and sanded off some burrs on it and reinstalled, it now rotates as it is supposed to.

So for my first Pietta experience I am not impressed. I had nothing similar on the Ubertis. Like you said , cheapest one you could find.
My first cap and ball revolver is a used 2000 Pieta that I got to inspect before buying and I was amazed by the accuracy fit finish and over quality.
the second one I bought is a Uberti colt Wells fargo, also from Midway, same wedge problem a beautifully finished piece that was a PITA that I spent many many hours on trying to make it reliable. I much prefer the Pieta 1858, for the same reason I wound up buying only Toyotas. They work!

Buzz

My first cap and ball revolver is a used 2000 Pieta that I got to inspect before buying and I was amazed by the accuracy fit finish and over quality.
the second one I bought is a Uberti colt Wells fargo, also from Midway, same wedge problem a beautifully finished piece that was a PITA that I spent many many hours on trying to make it reliable. I much prefer the Pieta 1858, for the same reason I wound up buying only Toyotas. They work!

Buzz
I'm a Toyota guy too. I have owned 6 in my time and have 2 of those in the stable still. Not totally trouble free but relatively few problems, solid vehicles for sure. I have an older BMW that is a wonderful vehicle but it is...what do you say about a young beautiful woman..."High maintenance".

Revolvers should be low maintacne due to their relatively simple design. I guess we have to look at the fact that the design of our beloved BP revolvers is antiquated but IMO that doesn't excuse poor manufacturing practices. Not to beat a dead horse...OK maybe a few whacks, no firearm should leave the factory with as many issues as the one I started this post about. One issue...OK, two you're pushin' it. More than that...someone wasn't doing their job!

I'm a Toyota guy too. I have owned 6 in my time and have 2 of those in the stable still. Not totally trouble free but relatively few problems, solid vehicles for sure. I have an older BMW that is a wonderful vehicle but it is...what do you say about a young beautiful woman..."High maintenance".

Revolvers should be low maintacne due to their relatively simple design. I guess we have to look at the fact that the design of our beloved BP revolvers is antiquated but IMO that doesn't excuse poor manufacturing practices. Not to beat a dead horse...OK maybe a few whacks, no firearm should leave the factory with as many issues as the one I started this post about. One issue...OK, two you're pushin' it. More than that...someone wasn't doing their job!

I hear ya but the fact of the matter is, "simple" because of the number of parts doesn't necessarily mean "simple". All surfaces are dedicated to certain functions. Because of that, "hand fitting" is necessary. Throw in the arbor setup for the open-top and folks go nuts and want to argue with you about how they work, how "weak" they are, how much better the top strap design is . . .
they may not be "mechanically minded" (or think they are!!) but will argue nonetheless!!

Mike

I hear ya but the fact of the matter is, "simple" because of the number of parts doesn't necessarily mean "simple". All surfaces are dedicated to certain functions. Because of that, "hand fitting" is necessary. Throw in the arbor setup for the open-top and folks go nuts and want to argue with you about how they work, how "weak" they are, how much better the top strap design is . . .
they may not be "mechanically minded" (or think they are!!) but will argue nonetheless!!

Mike
Point well taken Mike. I always enjoy your posts, I appreciate your knowledge and your willingness to share.

This is why I think that the retailer, esp. those that have a no return policy, should do a function check and basic inspection on any gun that is to be mailed out. Yes on Toyotas. I've had them for the past 41 years...3 trucks. And my favorite woods truck is my 2002.

I just dropped the hammer and loading lever assembly in a solo cup full of vinegar, let it sit for a day and pulled them out. Then cleaned throughly

Enough of the fake color case on the lever and the black/blue finish on the hammer won't completely come off and leaves the steel "tinted" unevenly so it looks like faded color casing and matches the loading lever.

I did this to the round barrel Brasser on the bottom. The octagonal barrel Brasser had a color cased hammer, being a little older and I left the black hammer on the 12" revolver
View attachment 195622

The hammer "de-blacked"

View attachment 195623
Thanks! I used your tip and knocked down the black with vinegar and then randomly applied some blueing. It doesn't have case hardened colors but that gave it a little character.....better than the "new parts" black look. The new hammer and bolt did solve my bolt problem but only after it left some drag marks on the cylinder...more character I guess.
DSC_4969.JPG

Thanks! I used your tip and knocked down the black with vinegar and then randomly applied some blueing. It doesn't have case hardened colors but that gave it a little character.....better than the "new parts" black look. The new hammer and bolt did solve my bolt problem but only after it left some drag marks on the cylinder...more character I guess.View attachment 196324
That looks great actually

A little drag line isn't a problem for me, I actually kinda like them

See you never know how bad something is till somebody else tells you.
I bouton a new 1851 navy from EMF a last month. 243.00 I never even noticed the black hammer till I read this post. Lol

I have only fairly recently gotten seriously into BP and when I jump into just about anything I do so with both feet. I started out with an 1858 Remington Sheriff, then a 3rd model Dragoon (both Uberti) and lastly 2 ROA, one stainless, one blued.

So I ordered the cheapest Pietta from Midway. An 1851 Navy-ish, brasser. I knew that it was a low end price point model as it had no Navy roll engraving on the cylinder, the grip is black plastic and of course the brass frame, which is not highly polished. I was okay with all of that due to the price of $234, and free shipping code.

I know that many posts tell of Piettas being of superior build quality, here are the issues I have with the Pietta:

1 - The wedge was not inserted deep enough for the wedge spring to pop up on the other side of the barrel. In fact it had been driven in so hard at the factory that it took several good whacks with punch and hammer to remove it. It is stamped with a number 3 on the bottom which I assume was the choice of the person who assembled it (assuming the number has something to do with proper fit). Anyway I had to file one edge down to get it to fit correctly.

2 - The barrel was difficult to remove, when reinstalling it I had to tap the muzzle with a plastic mallet to get it to seat properly. I removed and replaced it several times so I could get a nice shiny spot(s) on the arbor so could lightly sand those high spots down. Using 320 grit paper I removed the high spots until I could seat the barrel by hand.

3 - upon removal of the cylinder I noticed bluing salts had cooked out and surrounded one of the nipples. I decided to remove all of the nipples for cleaning. Two of them were clogged with bluing salts and the one that had salts around the outside of it was not even screwed in all the way, it just spun off with no effort.

4 - I disassembled the remaining parts of the frame. The roller on the hammer did not rotate. I drove out its pin and sanded off some burrs on it and reinstalled, it now rotates as it is supposed to.

So for my first Pietta experience I am not impressed. I had nothing similar on the Ubertis.
It seems to be hit and miss with these BP pistols. So far the ones I got from Midway have been fine. One Dragoon had some silly things that I corrected very easily but all good. Just picked up a Pietta Remington Sheriff at Cabela’s and is a beauty right out of the box.

Picked up a n EMF percussion 1873 Colt "non repo" two weeks ago. Gotta say it is the prettiest revolver I've ever owned. Pietta made, bluing is deep, case hardening almost jewelry in appearance. Made 2017-2018. I may not ever fire the gun, but I'll definitely hang on to this one. I've had (and have) other BP pistols, but nothing like this one.

Back