• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first patch knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TarponStalker

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Y’all.
I made my first knife about 15 years ago using an antler and blade from an orange grove saw.
As you can see when I glued in the blade using JB Weld I didn’t think to clamp the blade in. Therefore during the night it worked out leaving a gap. I’ve just been using it as is since then but always thinking of how to fix it.
Im thinking of pouring pewter in the gap and shaping it to fit.
do any of you folks have an idea?
thanks.
31F45C37-85D5-46ED-876E-2EC60A1411D9.jpeg

Either that or just spin the gap with some waxed artificial sinew and put a match to it to bind it all together. That would add to the handcrafted look. Then you would have a solid excuse to buy a nice Southern Mountain flintlock to go with it....
That’s a good idea. I thought about a leather thong/string but I’d never get it tight enough I’m afraid.
I wish there was somewhere around here to buy artificial sinew. I’d like to try your idea.

Hi Y’all.
I made my first knife about 15 years ago using an antler and blade from an orange grove saw.
As you can see when I glued in the blade using JB Weld I didn’t think to clamp the blade in. Therefore during the night it worked out leaving a gap. I’ve just been using it as is since then but always thinking of how to fix it.
thanks. View attachment 54361
That'd work.

That’s a good idea. I thought about a leather thong/string but I’d never get it tight enough I’m afraid.
I wish there was somewhere around here to buy artificial sinew. I’d like to try your idea.
Crazy Crow Trading, Hobby Lobby.

Using a torch - propane will work - heat the blade up which will soften the epoxy and pull out that ugly blade☹. Make a new and better styled blade and redo that good looking antler horn into a nice knife --- sorry for being so frank but that antler handle deserves a better looking blade :ghostly:

+1

Use gentle heat and the epoxy will soften fairly quickly, allowing the tang to be embedded deeper (if the hole's deep enough).

Let the epoxy re-cure with the tip of the knife "up" (as gently clamped in a bench vise)

Hi Y’all.
Cut a brass disk the size of the antler the thickness of the gap. Cut a slice the thickness of the blade so you can slide the disk in from the top. Set it in place with some two part epoxy, let it dry. Next day hit the gap with a single spot of brass solder. File, polish, enjoy!

Zug, I think you are a bit too harsh on the knife as there are many ways to fix the gap as has been mentioned. And with a little polishing of the blade to clean it up some I see a very fine knife.

I think it looks great and I'd leave it just the way it is. Probably the guy who made it was too busy shooting at the horde of Indians that were attacking his cabin to worry about how his epoxy would set.

I think I'd either use some pewter or lead free plumbers solder to fill the gap. If you work down a little bit of the horn near the gap, and just wrap some masking tape to create a kind of "dam" and you can work down the metal you poured to look good.

Hi Y’all.
You may get a volcanic action if that molten pewter touches the J&B epoxy. Been there, done that. It's a home made knife. It looks period as it is.

I think it looks great-advice you have gotten is correct- heat the blade- go slow-that epoxy shoud soften right up so you can push the blade back in. Probably, the suggestion to heat the blade would be fastest.

if any epoxy gets on the blade, antler, or you, alcohol will quickly remove the still wet epoxy. Get the 91 % stuff, not rubbing alcohol.

That knife looks very authentic to my eyes!

Latest posts

Back