• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first kit gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The patch boxes for your inspiration are very interesting. I think that would be just about the right amount to put a little spark into butt stock. Simple, but a bit of flare. :thumb::cool:
Yeah, I specifically searched for originals that had smaller, less ornate boxes, but were still full length. I'm trying not to cover all the nice wood in the stock, but didn't want to go with the later round box type like a lot of the Hawken repros.

Option three: Continue the mix of brass and silver to the right side, with a silver patchbox out of this sheet silver I have. Hmmm....
20210713_185945.jpg

That is really coming along nicely! It will be a one of a kind rifle when you are finished and I'm sure your Dad will be happy with all of the extra effort you have put into this build. Of course you do realize that after this you are going to want one for yourself and after that a pistol and a smoothbore and it will never end. I'm sure enjoying watching this one take shape. You've done good!

Ahhh...familiar with the concept on other applications, but didn't cross my mind here. Good info for next time.

Actually you can try out inletting as well as pouring.
You're picking up a lot of good skills and btw "faux" striping of the stock on a basic "trade" rifle was well known in the 19th century.

You can take a simple beeswax candle, and apply the end of the flame to backside of an inlay or even a lock plate, for a second or two. The soot buildup will do the same as inletting black. Put the piece in place, then gently rap the piece with a small mallet (I use a wooden crab mallet - but I'm in Maryland). Remove the piece and soot will have transferred to the wood where the piece touches. Remove a little wood where it was blackened and repeat.

Pouring is where you pour a pewter nose cap on the end of the stock, instead of installing one. You can use faux pewter buttons for the metal. Pretty snazzy when completed.

You're doing fine, but how does she shoot?

LD

That is really coming along nicely! It will be a one of a kind rifle when you are finished and I'm sure your Dad will be happy with all of the extra effort you have put into this build. Of course you do realize that after this you are going to want one for yourself and after that a pistol and a smoothbore and it will never end. I'm sure enjoying watching this one take shape. You've done good!
Thank you! And I think you are correct. Since it isn't a surprise, I've been sending dad progress pics, and he just told me I'm not going to want to give it up when it's done. Haha. So he made sure to tell me he'll add it to his will for me to have. Lol.

Old warhorse is 83this November. He's healthy and still doing things men half his age can't, but I'm still likely to get my rifle back sooner than I want it.

I do already want a Hawken style plains rifle tho. All iron hardware. No frills but for maybe some wavy grained wood. And yes, a pistol. Specifically a swivel breech. And, and, and....

Actually you can try out inletting as well as pouring.
You're picking up a lot of good skills and btw "faux" striping of the stock on a basic "trade" rifle was well known in the 19th century.

You can take a simple beeswax candle, and apply the end of the flame to backside of an inlay or even a lock plate, for a second or two. The soot buildup will do the same as inletting black. Put the piece in place, then gently rap the piece with a small mallet (I use a wooden crab mallet - but I'm in Maryland). Remove the piece and soot will have transferred to the wood where the piece touches. Remove a little wood where it was blackened and repeat.

Pouring is where you pour a pewter nose cap on the end of the stock, instead of installing one. You can use faux pewter buttons for the metal. Pretty snazzy when completed.

You're doing fine, but how does she shoot?

LD
That pewter end cap sounds cool. Looks fairly easy compared to other metals, too, since the melt temp is low. Gonna have to try it some day. I don't think this will be my last build.

You are doing well But..
Take a look at how the patchbox flows with the lines of the stock.
The originals point up to the lock and wrist.
Might I suggest you look at how you have positioned yours as it looks a little straight.

The best advice I can give is look at as many pictures of originals you can from every angle.
Also do a search for others doing Traditions Kentucky kits.
This will potentially show you what can be done as well as what, maybe, shouldn't.
I have no access to originals but looking at the pictures you get to learn how the rifles lines flow or do a sharp bend.
For instance look at the corner between the top of the butt and the wrist. In some this is very sharp in others it is almost non existent (look at a Bedford).

Hopefully you will find one you really like and can emulate if you so choose.

Whatever you do. Do it for you and have fun. đź‘Ť:)

Latest posts

Back