• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My first kit build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. I kinda want to try to bend it because the gap between trigger and trigger guard is so tight that I think it just needs a different profile. May just give it a go and if I break it, get a replacement. Maybe add a little heat.

before doing anything, position the barrel and the flintlock to see if the flash hole is well placed relative to the pan. if it is too low, return to the seller.
Thanks for this! That would have been a game changer, but with the lock in place, it appears to sit just right to me. It might have been the angle on the pic that made it look too low?

Bend with extreme care!! I snapped the guard on my CVA Kentucky rife kit. didn't take much.Lucky t have a friend who is a machinist by trade to silver-solder it back together.

Tom

Well manure.
1586037229584.jpeg

I know it looks like brass, but really it’s made of glass.

Bummer, but now you have an opportunity to experiment. Try heating to a dull red the quench in water, did it soften ? Also try bending while dull red. You can learn a bit that will come in handy and if so inclined share with us what you find out.

Bummer, but now you have an opportunity to experiment. Try heating to a dull red the quench in water, did it soften ? Also try bending while dull red. You can learn a bit that will come in handy and if so inclined share with us what you find out.
Well, I hadn’t looked at it that way, but you’re absolutely right. This is now my test piece for the replacement I’m hoping Dixi will send to me!

I guess ok to start working on other parts now, as I’m committed and I think Dixi will take care of me.

Snapped my first guard doing a cold "encourage". DGW sent new guard. Some heat on the bow and gentle nudging brought it right where it should have been in the first place. Shame on Pedersoli for providing this piece like this.

Snapped my first guard doing a cold "encourage". DGW sent new guard. Some heat on the bow and gentle nudging brought it right where it should have been in the first place. Shame on Pedersoli for providing this piece like this.
Well, my bend was with gentle heat. I didn’t get it got enough to turn red though, so maybe not hot enough.

A tool that works well for subtle bending is a 3 pin fixture. Take 3 pins, a couple inches in length and about 3/8" in diameter. Drill a 1/8" hole near the end of each. Make a wire jig to hold 2 pins to the face of your vise jaws through the holes you drilled. Take the last pin and again, use welding wire through the hole and make a fixture for the vise.
The wire holds the pins in place where you want them.
With the 3 pins in the jaws of the vise you can apply pressure right were you want it and in small increments. 2 pins on one side and one on the other of your workpiece.
It's harder to explain than to do

Thanks for this! That would have been a game changer, but with the lock in place, it appears to sit just right to me. It might have been the angle on the pic that made it look too low?
Hi ,I once bought a used kit,and when I looked it over the vent hole was rite under the pan,I've heard that the vint hole should look like the setting sun just above the flat surface where the pan joins the barrel! Any way on my kit to get it to work rite, I took my Dremel with a drum sander and ground the pan down till it met the sunset idea,then I cold blued the pan,after that I placed powder in the pan and a small amount in barrel with no wad or bullet,and it works fine! Just a fyi,if you ever have that kind of problem,you have a nice pistol,pedersoli has wonderful gun kits,have a good day Sir! Trusty-58

BP- I'll have to re-read your 3-pin bending took idea a few times to figure that one out. I think you're essentially talking about using pins to apply constant, but subtle pressure, maintained by the stability of vice grips that can sit that way for a long time without wavering. I don't know about my personal patience level on something like that, but if I hear back from Dixi gun works that they'll be sending me another one, and if it too is non-fitting like this one, I may be pinging you for more info on that idea!

Well guys, Dixi Gun Works is sending me a new trigger guard that they will pre-bend at their end to make sure it'll fit. FYI, they've had so many issues with the trigger guard that they arranged with Pendersoli that all of their future shipments will have the trigger guard installed by Pendersoli, with the idea that if they break enough of them on their end, maybe that'll get them to change production.

I asked Jamie from DGW how he's bending the trigger guards, and he said he just places it in a vice and gently/slowly tightens the vice until it fits. I'm surprised that he's successful that way, given my experience, but apparently he is. It does suggest to me that the guard will bend wherever it wants to, so I'll be curious to see how it all lays into place when I get it. I was warned that I'll have to bend my trigger a little once the trigger guard is in place because, as I suspected with my pictures earlier, the tolerance between trigger and guard will be too tight. Luckily he thinks the alloy in the trigger itself is able to be bent without breaking.

I suspect some of you REAL gun builders out there are just shaking your heads at me for such a small issue. Bear with me fellas. I bought a kit because that's my level of expertise, and I don't pretend to be a metallurgist or a card-carrying gun builder, by any stretch of the imagination!

BP- I'll have to re-read your 3-pin bending took idea a few times to figure that one out. I think you're essentially talking about using pins to apply constant, but subtle pressure, maintained by the stability of vice grips that can sit that way for a long time without wavering. I don't know about my personal patience level on something like that, but if I hear back from Dixi gun works that they'll be sending me another one, and if it too is non-fitting like this one, I may be pinging you for more info on that idea!
The replacement guard will probably be identical.
Well guys, Dixi Gun Works is sending me a new trigger guard that they will pre-bend at their end to make sure it'll fit. FYI, they've had so many issues with the trigger guard that they arranged with Pendersoli that all of their future shipments will have the trigger guard installed by Pendersoli, with the idea that if they break enough of them on their end, maybe that'll get them to change production.

I asked Jamie from DGW how he's bending the trigger guards, and he said he just places it in a vice and gently/slowly tightens the vice until it fits. I'm surprised that he's successful that way, given my experience, but apparently he is. It does suggest to me that the guard will bend wherever it wants to, so I'll be curious to see how it all lays into place when I get it. I was warned that I'll have to bend my trigger a little once the trigger guard is in place because, as I suspected with my pictures earlier, the tolerance between trigger and guard will be too tight. Luckily he thinks the alloy in the trigger itself is able to be bent without breaking.

I suspect some of you REAL gun builders out there are just shaking your heads at me for such a small issue. Bear with me fellas. I bought a kit because that's my level of expertise, and I don't pretend to be a metallurgist or a card-carrying gun builder, by any stretch of the imagination!
Fantastic! The squeaky wheel does get the grease. I had to bend the trigger a bit, but I found that there was little to no trigger creep so don't go crazy. Best of luck on your build.

Not Vise Grips, you need a bench vise

Back