• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My first kit build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working a little more on this kit and figured I’d update the post.

I got all my brass pieces polished up and decided to antique it using Birchwood Casey’s Brass Black. Pictures have to be zoomed in to see it well enough, but I’m pleased with the results.

7966D1F0-35E5-4A33-BF05-C4CE5A8262D4.jpeg

49C1D75F-7B0F-4E64-8990-4810578D6773.jpeg

I’m also finished shaping the stock so I’m following Dave’s advice and going to hit it with yellow aniline dye first before finishing with Tru-Oil.

I’m testing the dye in the barrel chamber first....
24F16892-81EA-4AE1-8866-FF5596206D1F.jpeg

.... after a little drying time:
image.jpg

While on the subject of finishing the stock... I’ve read accounts where the application of finish (like a Tru-Oil and others) can swell the wood a little tiny bit, making the hardware a little snug. Some even suggest applying the finish with the lock or other pieces in place.

I’m not sure that I’m willing to risk gunking up or staining the brass, lock, etc, but what say the experts on this?

Related... if we seal the stock with hardware in place, does that mean you don’t bother sealing the areas underneath/behind?? This is going to be a working/hunting tool for me, so it will be exposed to humidity, possible rain, etc. I feel like I should seal up those internal areas too.

Thoughts?

I've had to bend more than one trigger guard to get them to fit into the mortice. The truck is to bend slowly by hand amd only enough to get it to fit. The screws will then pull it into place.

Well guys, I laid out my project for after dinner tonight, as long as something more urgent doesn’t come up with the family:

3B441622-6F41-4E5F-84D3-CEB9F7E1B231.jpeg

To be honest, if something does come up I won’t complain, because this has been such a fun diversion from COVID and work related stress that I almost don’t want it to end!

Well guys, I laid out my project for after dinner tonight, as long as something more urgent doesn’t come up with the family:

View attachment 35353
To be honest, if something does come up I won’t complain, because this has been such a fun diversion from COVID and work related stress that I almost don’t want it to end!
It is fun and satisfying to be sure, not for everyone but seems the bug has bitten you. I restore old beatup TC Hawkens for fun. Restore their beauty and functionality. Only problem is they never leave. 😉

It is fun and satisfying to be sure, not for everyone but seems the bug has bitten you. I restore old beatup TC Hawkens for fun. Restore their beauty and functionality. Only problem is they never leave. 😉
I hear that!
I absolutely do NOT consider myself a bona fide gun builder, but working up a kit like this definitely was fun, and greatly improved my knowledge. I would consider another rifle kit, but it would have to be something requiring a similar level of skill. I can't really do any fancy carvings, which I so admire from the pros, and I don't have a well equipped shop as I sometimes see in pics over on the gun builders thread. Having the space and tools necessary for a pistol is certainly more doable for a guy like me.

I hear that!
I absolutely do NOT consider myself a bona fide gun builder, but working up a kit like this definitely was fun, and greatly improved my knowledge. I would consider another rifle kit, but it would have to be something requiring a similar level of skill. I can't really do any fancy carvings, which I so admire from the pros, and I don't have a well equipped shop as I sometimes see in pics over on the gun builders thread. Having the space and tools necessary for a pistol is certainly more doable for a guy like me.
I don't have a shop either just my lap and a small table. I did just venture forth and made a PVC pipe for Rust Bluing barrels spent $30. Rustbluing.com Should be a new experience. I just spent time refinishing a pre warning TC barrel so she is old and needed starting over and the front sight was out of place so didn't shoot straight. Getting it off with the rust was not easy. Since all hand finishing not much space or tools needed with black powder guns. Time, patience, and elbow grease is all that is needed. Enjoy, it becomes passion.

Attachments

• image-20200522_214425.jpg
    image-20200522_214425.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 56
Well here it is, flaws and all:
D0636CEF-029C-4A47-B870-BAEB5158F0AD.jpeg

D8FDB8C8-4A54-49DC-B923-264AA6CC748E.jpeg

I owe debts of gratitude to several on this forum who have commented to this and other posts that I left, and PM’d me with specific, thoughtful advice. At the outset, I came to this project as perhaps a slightly above average “home shop” guy, but I’d say that the final product reflects some of my best work. It took me way longer than it would have taken real gun builders to achieve this, but I wasn’t in a hurry, and since I built this for my own use (not a business) my time is an investment in my hobby. Besides... this was my respite from the stress of working and the constant reality of COVID, so the longer it took me to build, the better as far as stress relief goes!

I have some ,535 RB’s on order and .010 and .015 patches to try out. Gonna have to find a weekend sometime after the 4th of July weekend to see if this is anything more than a decoration. Fingers crossed that she she goes “boom!”

Back