• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My first horn build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a polished horn laying around and thought I'd give it a shot at making a powder horn.

I think I have it mostly roughed out at this point.

Horn1.jpg

Taking my time as I only work on it in 10 minutes increments, 4 to 6 times a day when I go out to the garage for my smoke breaks. Not going to try and get fancy with it, just want to try a basic horn first and see how it goes.

Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Your doing well, pilgrim - congrats !

You might want to consider trying your hand at engrailing ( small notches circling the horn, stained) your horn with a small concave wood carving chisel (after laying out the spacing so the cuts end up even.)

s-l1600.jpg

tool-2416461_960_720-800x533.jpg

Your doing well, pilgrim - congrats !

You might want to consider trying your hand at engrailing ( small notches circling the horn, stained) your horn with a small concave wood carving chisel (after laying out the spacing so the cuts end up even.)

s-l1600.jpg

tool-2416461_960_720-800x533.jpg
I have been considering it. By the way, would leather dye work instead of using something like Rit dyes?

By the way, would leather dye work instead of using something like Rit dyes?

I would suggest that you try whatever dye on the inside of the horn, prior to installing the end cap, until you determine which floats your boat.

Had a polished horn laying around and thought I'd give it a shot at making a powder horn.

I think I have it mostly roughed out at this point.

View attachment 82980

Taking my time as I only work on it in 10 minutes increments, 4 to 6 times a day when I go out to the garage for my smoke breaks. Not going to try and get fancy with it, just want to try a basic horn first and see how it goes.

Suggestions are welcome.
Lookin good so far. I like where you are going and can see a lot of potential.
Can we please see a pic of the spout end? Trying to get an idea of how much thickness you have to work with.

I love the proportions you have for each section.

I think that horn will look absolutely fantastic if you can get the spout section from the rings to the tip thinner and work the tip down nice and small so one can see what one is doing when priming from the horn.

Can we please see a pic of the spout end? Trying to get an idea of how much thickness you have to work with.

I think that horn will look absolutely fantastic if you can get the spout section from the rings to the tip thinner and work the tip down nice and small so one can see what one is doing when priming from the horn.
Yeah, the spout end is pretty thick and I was debating narrowing it some more.

That’s exactly what I was thinking.
To me the spout looks too chunky.
It needs to be thinned down and more “graceful”.

You might want to consider replacing that spout plug with a more graceful violin tuning peg (about $2ea)

violin-tuning-peg.jpg
Powder Horns & More has been my go to so far. They have multiple different styles of spout plugs pre-turned base caps, etc. That's where the horn came from, medium size polished horn cost me $13.
I finished off the two small powder horns I bought from Bubba here. They needed spout plugs and the smaller one I put the brass plug on it.

2 small powder horns.jpg

I was referring to a spout plug, and not an endcap plug for re-fills - but it looks like you already chose a violin pegs for the horns pictured......

Okay, the throat is getting more streamlined but I did make one mistake, I grabbed a 5/16th inch drill bit instead of a 1/4" bit when I drilled the spout hole. Might have to custom make a spout plug for it. It'd work great for smoothbores using 2Fg..........

Horn3.jpg

Horn4.jpg

Okay, the throat is getting more streamlined but I did make one mistake, I grabbed a 5/16th inch drill bit instead of a 1/4" bit when I drilled the spout hole. Might have to custom make a spout plug for it. It'd work great for smoothbores using 2Fg..........

View attachment 83157

View attachment 83158
kje54:
Yeah, 5/16" drill bit...bad choice out the gate, too big. I start with 3/16? then work my way up depending on how much (or little) horn I have to work with, but great job so far. Looking foward to seeing the finished product.
God bless:
Two Feathers

kje54:
Yeah, 5/16" drill bit...bad choice out the gate, too big. I start with 3/16? then work my way up depending on how much (or little) horn I have to work with, but great job so far. Looking foward to seeing the finished product.
God bless:
Two Feathers
I'm thinking plug the hole with an epoxy - horn dust mix, let it set overnight then re drill it with a 3/16ths bit.

I'm thinking plug the hole with an epoxy - horn dust mix, let it set overnight then re drill it with a 3/16ths bit.
That will "fly" but be very careful. Epoxy is a LOT harder than horn, and the bit may be prone to drifting off center? Just a heads-up. I'm no pro. just a guy who occasionally makes a powder horn. :thumb:
I think you have the right idea though, jkeep it up. It looks good so far.
God bless:'
Two Feathers

Powder Horns & More has been my go to so far. They have multiple different styles of spout plugs pre-turned base caps, etc. That's where the horn came from, medium size polished horn cost me $13.
I finished off the two small powder horns I bought from Bubba here. They needed spout plugs and the smaller one I put the brass plug on it.

View attachment 83148

Really like the smaller horn.

Back