• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My first flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy Im a younger guy (only legal to drink as of today) and found an old UltraHigh flintlock musket. I always wanted a flintlock but haven’t worked up the courage (or funding) for one, However 50 bucks at a yard sale was to much fun for to little money to resist. However I now have a firelock with no idea how to use it or what I need to get. Ive had and used a percussion gun for half a decade so I am not a complete newb but flint is still a mystery. So any help for a youngin would be greatly appreciated.

Duelist1954 has a three part “Beginners Guide To Flintlock Rifle Shooting “ on YouTube.

Black Powder Maniac Shooter has “Flintlocks-7 Tips for More Reliable Ignition “ and “How To Get Started In Muzzle Loading” on YouTube also.

Don’t be afraid of it and if you’ve fired cap locks it is a big jump to at least shoot a flint. If you have black powder and the correct size ball the main thing is flint. You can order them from Tack of the Wolf and other vendors. You can use any real black powder for priming. Follow the above suggestions and go have some fun. Don’t make it overly complicated to start.

Find a local club they are a great source of information and people willing to help. We need "new blood" and new comers are always welcomed.

Howdy Im a younger guy (only legal to drink as of today) and found an old UltraHigh flintlock musket. I always wanted a flintlock but haven’t worked up the courage (or funding) for one, However 50 bucks at a yard sale was to much fun for to little money to resist. However I now have a firelock with no idea how to use it or what I need to get. Ive had and used a percussion gun for half a decade so I am not a complete newb but flint is still a mystery. So any help for a youngin would be greatly appreciated.
I'm in the same boat except for just a tad bit older at 58 years old. There are a lot of folks in this group that can steer you in the right direction as they have me. Congratulations on your rifle and have fun with it. Make sure you give it a good look over for safety before loading it up.

Welcome to the flintlock family! You're probably going to need flints, a pan primer and a vent pick (optionally you could a flint knapping hammer but it's not required). First of all, you're going to want to get the proper size flint. A 5/8" flint is likely going to be your best fit due to the lock being similar to a CVA lock. When you position the flint in the lock, make sure that you place the flint in a piece of leather and also ensure that when you pull the trigger the flint doesn't scrape the barrel and the flint is square with the frizzen. Next, you're going to need a pan primer. A pan primer is just a device that dispenses powder in the pan easier. There's a bunch of styles of pan primer, but for most needs a brass pan primer should work fine. Occasionally, the touch hole will get blocked by fouling or something, and you need to pick it out so the main charge ignites. You can just use a common needle or fine piece of metal that fits in the touch hole as a vent pick (that's what I use personally). A vent pick is also good to have around in case you need to siphon some powder down the touch hole because you dryballed.
Now when it comes to shooting, Mr. Beliveau (duelist1954) on YouTube makes some great videos. Have fun with your new gun!

Happy Birthday.
Your Ultra-Hi is also the first muzzleloading flintlock I purchased many years ago. It just got a new finish to the stock recently and just a fun rifle to shoot.
8120AB67-9297-4F98-8D6E-985C88400B23.jpeg
If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Any pics?

Happy birthday and welcome to the dark side of muzzleloading. I'll just mention that only real BP works reliably in a flintlock. Also if you have problems with the lock; few sparks, iffy ignition, etc, just start asking your questions in this forum. Imported rifles have barrels that are very accurate and the only problem area is (sometimes) the lock. Don't get discouraged if you run into problems, just post your questions here. Also nothing helps more than furnishing photos along with questions.

Happy birthday and congratulations to you on your new obsession. You'll find a lot of good information here.

Back