• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My first Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretty

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just ordered it today, I'm glad I found this forum I sure could use help on shooting and especially on CLEANING It's a 50 caliber..
Thangs in advance on any advice you all can give me.

I have a removeable vent liner so i made a hollow fitting that i can screw into the hole and put a piece of hose over. Other end of the hose goese in a bucket of hot water. I put jag on the ramrod and pump a patch up and down the barrel, the suction pulls water up and flushes the junk out. I put on a clean patch every 6 or 8 strokes and continue til they come out clean. I then blow her out with compressed air, run a dry patch to make sure she's dry then an oil patch to get her all lubed up.

Chris

I bought a Colonial 50 cal. swamped barrel made by Matt Avance of TV Muzzeloders.
Thanks for the Info on cleaning and I did find and watched cleaning on U TUBE
I have been shooting Black fer over 40 years but it was a Hawken cap lock 54 cal. A Browning mountain Rifle, been to a lot of Roundies I think ( I used to drink a lot of apple Pie )

My advice is practice sight picture with no powder or ball in the barrel just a flint and powder in the pan. The flash near the face can be a distraction causing a flinch.

Second what Ballshooter said...... dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. Us a "wood flint" at first and pay attention to where the sights were when the cock fell. Followt through and being able to "call your shot" are key elements of shooting well. If you are concentrating on sight picture you will know exactly where the ball landed before the smoke clears and you can see the target again. After lots of dry fire practice put the flint back in and prime the pan. If your really concentrating on the front sight you wont even notice the flash. Take a few "shots" that way but not many as it wears on your flint. When your ready to shoot, start with light loads, 40-50gr, and concentrate on the sights, know where the ball went! Dont let the boom and recoil make you forget all you learned up to that point.

Chris

You're doomed.....

Welcome too the Dark Side, once you enter ...
You can never leave.
You were Warned!

Clean it just like a cap lock, just try and keep the wood dry as possible.
I lay mine muzzle down on a bench usually.

Congrats on your purchase, those TVM guns are known shooters!

All good info listed above, the main thing I can think of would be shoot a lot. Then shoot some more!
Welcome to the Forum

They all kinds of cleaning accessories
4FE9AF5D-10AF-44A9-8455-18338387B62E.jpeg

Tried to order cleaning stuff from Dixie, most complicated thing I ever brought up on my Putter thing, is their some place else I can buy cleaning Stuff from?

To Blake Master and everybody else Where did you get that touch hole cleaning thing?

I bought one of them new fangled c-clamp cleaning dohickeys when I first started with flint. It hangs in the workshop, gathering dust. Plugging the touch hole with a toothpick and pouring some home brew cleaner into the barrel seem to work quite well. Breech scraper first. After pouring out the cleaner, plenty of patches, both wet and dry, gets the job done.

I agree ord sgt. don't over think things the old K.I.S.S. thinking works. A bit of advice too the new shooters, I think I seen it some where on the site (HANG OUT WITH THE OLDER GUYS THEY KNOW STUFF) and keep your money for powder, patching and balls.

Latest posts

Back