• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first flintlock build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozmo

40 Cal
Reaction score
Well this has been a long time in coming. I think I have had this kibler SMR in the works for almost two years, working on it weekends only and sometimes missing whole months. Aside from sizing a few lug pins and waiting on wood screws for the toe plate, it's a done deal!
So glad I chose this kit from Jim. Really high quality manufacture and perfect for a newbie builder. Many thanks to all the excellent knowledge and inspiration I got from the members here!
20200412_150235.jpg
20200412_151121.jpg
20200413_210823.jpg
20200412_150417.jpg20200413_192408.jpg

I'd like to build a trade rifle or Fowler but not sure which kit maker to go with. I may just punt and get a kibler colonial, so I can improve my skills with an easier build.

Thanks. The kibler inletted and shaped stocks is a huge advantage. Drilling the underlugs and pipes straight was one of the toughest parts. Inletting the moon was challenging but a lot of fun. I really like the moon inlets but went back and forth about whether to try it. This build has its flaws, including a repaired crack I created, but I'm really happy with it for a first go. I watched hours of bill rabys build videos. They are fantastic and saved me from a ton of errors.

I'd like to build a trade rifle or Fowler but not sure which kit maker to go with. I may just punt and get a kibler colonial, so I can improve my skills with an easier build.

I would recommend a Fowler from Jim Chamber's. High quality kits, but it will be more challenging but also more rewarding as it will have much more labor investment from you. I am looking at a Fowler as my third kit form Chamber's.

Looks like you have done a fine job of her ! A family heirloom hopefully. Now will she make meat?

Nice job Kosmo! You're giving me the itch to order my first Early York from Chambers. Keep building, hopefully you won't wait like I am. I'm 65 and wish I would have started this flintlock thing when I was 20.

I would recommend a Fowler from Jim Chamber's. High quality kits, but it will be more challenging but also more rewarding as it will have much more labor investment from you. I am looking at a Fowler as my third kit form Chamber's.

Hi folks, after 15 years away I’m getting back to my PA fowler project. I didn’t get a muzzle cap and I’m wondering if I should get one. I have iron furniture, should muzzle cap also be iron? Thanks! Dc

Back