• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Build is Done - TVM Lancaster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micah Clark

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, my first build is done. I could not have done this without a coach who had built rifles before. He was a shop teacher so, he wold hit the chisel once or twice then hand it to me. . so I did about 98% of this, but knowing how was something I didn't know a year ago. A few hours every Tues or every other Tuesday and it is done.

This is a kit from TVM - Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, of their Late Lancaster. It is obviously a LH. It has a Rice Barrel in .32. ( Hope to get it sighted in to hunt squirrels this fall.) Chambers Siler lock. The only thing not in the TVM kit is the toe plate. I bought a fancier one than what came with the kit. I also had the side plate engraved, but it doesn't show up much in pics. This is TVM's 1st Maple premium Upgrade in wood. It has an LMF Lancaster Maple stain and True Oil buffed back finish.

I know every mistake and flaw, but I still am in love with it and with the building journey, which makes it very special. My iPhone is old so these pics aren't the greatest.

IMG_1403_zps5m3gggqv.jpg

IMG_1402_zpsjsqxjy81.jpg

IMG_1407_zpsd5z89t5p.jpg

IMG_1408_zpsdffnc4cd.jpg

IMG_1409_zpss3m8fjxa.jpg

Looks pretty good on this end. :hatsoff: Now get that feller ready for some bushytail!

I hate to say it, but I am more worried about my old eyes than the rifle's abilities. . .but I think I can tweak things to where I can see OK. I cut a notch in the sight that is fairly small for starters . may need to widen it a bit.

Thanks for the comments. . It was a lot of fun and a great learning experience. . . Glad I have a patient wife !!

Here's another pic I attempted with a different background (our couch).
My%20finished%20rifle_zps6kwdwslt.jpg

She's an easy 10 if you ask me! I reckon my first, before I rebuilt it a few times was about a 4. If yours shoots half as well as it looks, you are liable to be shooting the hairs of gnats' butts in no time!

Congrats on your first build being completed!! It looks great to my untrained eye! I admire your ability to see this build through. I chickened out with my build and had Mike Brooks put it together. So I really admire your tenacity! I'm sur you will be wacking them squirrels right out of their hiding spots in no time with this beautiful weapon! Greg. :)

I found a guy who happened to just live about 5 minutes from my home who had built about 20 rifles in his life. I got his agreement to help before I bought the kit . . .

Honestly, I had no idea what I was asking him, and the work involved.

Were it not for him, I'd have the equivalent of a Yugo on my own.

Thanks for the kind comments.

This forum was also really helpful with any questions I had and problems or difficulties that I encountered along the way.

It looks like youve done a great job. Im starting my second rifle in a week or so. Its going to be an early Lancaster done in the same stain you used. Im very happy with the look of yours, thanks for the post.

kswan said:
It looks like youve done a great job. Im starting my second rifle in a week or so. Its going to be an early Lancaster done in the same stain you used. Im very happy with the look of yours, thanks for the post.

Maple, even with stain, has a mind of its own. . .kind of neat though . . . but the LMF stain did give me the color I wanted or in that range, but the curl I saw when the stock was wet w water, wasn't quite the same as when it got stained.

One thing I read here, and should have remembered, but it is so hard when your in the exciting staining stage, is to sand it one more time, after you think you're ready to stain. It is amazing the little dings you never saw until after it's finished.

Thanks for the complements !!!

That looks fantastic, and I can't see a trace of that PC Woody anywhere. :grin:

I wasn't as fortunate to have a mentor for my first build, but this forum sure served as a close second. Lot's of great advice here from some real masters who are willing to take the time and help any of us.

By the way, how did your mentor let you put the lock on the wrong side? :blah:

Keep up the good work!

I am not a rifle builder but from here it looks really nice and you did a great job. I used to have a .36 that looked alot like it . I let it go in a weak moment. Now after seeing yours I may have to give a kit a try myself.

Congrats on a fine rifle!

Latest posts

Back