• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first BP mortar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
68F52F46-C213-4E3F-B14C-EE52AB2184F7.jpeg
921D1CDF-CB32-400C-BAFB-69B74C374EEB.jpeg
7765467F-ECF5-4124-B882-32C736713D48.jpeg
My first Coehorn Style Signal Mortar.

I just purchased this. Anyone have any input on golf ball loads? It says 200 grains of fg or ffg without a golf ball. Would 100 grains with a golf ball be a decent starter load?

Excuse my ignorance, I have no experience with this type of thing, only BP rifles and revolvers.
thanks,
Tom

I just use 30 to 50 grains of 2 f in mine. You are just lofting the ball to land on top of your target, so no need to waste powder.

A friend made this for me many years ago. And, it is also bored for a golf ball. I attach a colored streamer, in this case, an orange strip of cloth via a drywall screw. Using 1F cannon powder, a bare ball gets launched and is found days, weeks, years later in the woods somewhere. But with the streamer, you can usually follow it down. We have a small cedar tree in the middle of the backyard which is next to the woods. Object is to drop the ball into the cedar. Elevation and wind are mainly the controlling factors. I use a 35mm film can for powder measure. It does go boom.

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg

Latest posts

Back