• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Ball Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me likey,it'll work as good as any. The important thing is that you made it. I posted some years ago about a ballhorn I made. I got about the same reception that you got. After that others have posted about ballhorns and got fawned over. Maybe my address has something to do with it.
Yeah, I like making things even if they don't turn out perfect. If they are usable then life is good but it brings me back to the old times when people make things out of necessity and weren't worried about laser cut quality. If you look at the old original muzzleloaders, the inletting left a lot to be desired, but folks love those old rifles as do I. If someone did the same thing on a contemporary build these days, they get roasted and shamed while someone is looking for a rope and tree.

Yeah, I like making things even if they don't turn out perfect. If they are usable then life is good but it brings me back to the old times when people make things out of necessity and weren't worried about laser cut quality. If you look at the old original muzzleloaders, the inletting left a lot to be desired, but folks love those old rifles as do I. If someone did the same thing on a contemporary build these days, they get roasted and shamed while someone is looking for a rope and tree.
Well said, when I make something that is useful and passes my personal inspection ,I keep it and use it and over time appreciate it more.

Sorry, I missed your post when I went to visit my folks in Idaho.
Here is a photo of my Hodgepodge bag.
I read a few books on bag making, forget the one that described the The Types of makers of the day:
1 - the professional saddle maker
2- the apprentice saddle maker
3- the novice who builds either out of necessity or just because he can.

I fit #3 and enjoy using crude non modern tools. My stuff ain't pretty but I make sure its functional and durable and try (within my ability and talent) to do it as it would have been.
good job,good attitude!

Not many original bags exist, a good many horns and rifles, but the bags deteriorated from use and so few survived. I’ve seen a couple. They were functional but not professionally made. There have always been professional leather shops and professional horners, but many of these items were homemade of various style and quality. I think a lot of what we see today would not have been common in the old days. Look at pictures of Daddy Moore’s rig and some of the mountain riflemen.

My Wife was needing a new purse, She won't spend money on Herself. REALLY. I told her AW HELL I'LL just make you one.She just laughed because when ever we shop together, I always seem to say, Hell I can make one of those,( No matter what it is) Sooo, One day I'm sitting in my shop bored to death. Like a Bolt Of Lightening come an Idea,Usually not a good one.I grab up a grocery bag and cut it up to lay out flat.then lay out what I figure a Purse would look like flattened out, Figuring expanding sides, and cover flap. 4 pieces including a shoulder strap...I rechecked all my parts & measurments,And thought, This CAN'T be right. But I couldn't see where I was wrong.I transfered my pattern to a piece of medium wieght plyable Dark Brown leather, Cut it out and grab my sewing awl. Spend ALL afternoon stitching my heart out. Only thing I hadn't figured on was how the flap would stay shut. I cut 3 strips of leather, and braid up a loop and a lanyard. Poked a hole in the purse front to anchor the loop, cut a hole in the flap for the loop to poke thru, poke a hole in the flap to anchor the lanyard that I had tipped with an Antler tine. I was so proud of MYSELF, and Wondered how in the World I had done it having NO previous experience.(,closes expierence was sheet metal fabrication.)
Right about then my wife pulls in the driveway,and see's I'm in the Shop she comes to see what's up. I tossed the purse on the bench ,I said Got something for Ya. She looked it over and said Bull S### , YOU made this. proceed to transer the contents of her purse into the homemade item. And tossed the old one in the trash. NOW , BOYS I AIN'T STUPID. Her EYES said No, BUT her heart said GO FOR IT. For months after that she got complements and asked WHERE they could get one,and Would I make them one. I have not made another.She Carried that purse for 12 yrs. til Started concealed carrying.
She brought it to Me and said can You use this for a Possibles Bag, I do to this day. Now I know this is yust a Ramble and Haters are gonna Hate, probably ugly. But I REALLY don't care, I got a possibles bag with a GREAT pedigree that,s one of a kind.......BE Safe>>>>>>>>Wally

My Wife was needing a new purse, She won't spend money on Herself. REALLY. I told her AW HELL I'LL just make you one.She just laughed because when ever we shop together, I always seem to say, Hell I can make one of those,( No matter what it is) Sooo, One day I'm sitting in my shop bored to death. Like a Bolt Of Lightening come an Idea,Usually not a good one.I grab up a grocery bag and cut it up to lay out flat.then lay out what I figure a Purse would look like flattened out, Figuring expanding sides, and cover flap. 4 pieces including a shoulder strap...I rechecked all my parts & measurments,And thought, This CAN'T be right. But I couldn't see where I was wrong.I transfered my pattern to a piece of medium wieght plyable Dark Brown leather, Cut it out and grab my sewing awl. Spend ALL afternoon stitching my heart out. Only thing I hadn't figured on was how the flap would stay shut. I cut 3 strips of leather, and braid up a loop and a lanyard. Poked a hole in the purse front to anchor the loop, cut a hole in the flap for the loop to poke thru, poke a hole in the flap to anchor the lanyard that I had tipped with an Antler tine. I was so proud of MYSELF, and Wondered how in the World I had done it having NO previous experience.(,closes expierence was sheet metal fabrication.)
Right about then my wife pulls in the driveway,and see's I'm in the Shop she comes to see what's up. I tossed the purse on the bench ,I said Got something for Ya. She looked it over and said Bull S### , YOU made this. proceed to transer the contents of her purse into the homemade item. And tossed the old one in the trash. NOW , BOYS I AIN'T STUPID. Her EYES said No, BUT her heart said GO FOR IT. For months after that she got complements and asked WHERE they could get one,and Would I make them one. I have not made another.She Carried that purse for 12 yrs. til Started concealed carrying.
She brought it to Me and said can You use this for a Possibles Bag, I do to this day. Now I know this is yust a Ramble and Haters are gonna Hate, probably ugly. But I REALLY don't care, I got a possibles bag with a GREAT pedigree that,s one of a kind.......BE Safe>>>>>>>>Wally
good story,well done

I'm the same way and was always telling my wife and kids that I could make that, no matter what it was. Sometimes I could and sometimes I couldn't, but I always tried. Nice story.

I did enjoy making it and learned a lot. My hands shake a lot because of Parkinson's, but projects like this help me stay busy. I would definitely make a few adjustments on the next one. Maybe not make such a drastic turn from the neck to the main body and not pack the rice in so tight when it is drying. Overall it was a success for me.
I like it and, all things considered, it is a wonderful first effort.

About that sharp turn? You may want to look at how forum member Two Feathers avoids that on his bags.

I like it and, all things considered, it is a wonderful first effort.

About that sharp turn? You may want to look at how forum member Two Feathers avoids that on his bags.
I did check his work out and I must say he is a master. My next one will be different with the corners being double sewed without the drastic angles.

powdermeasure,

Everyone know ball horns rattle!
Sorry I couldn’t resist..😎🤣🤣🤣

Trapper Scott,
Ball bags ain’t gotta look good, they just gotta hold your balls..👍

I’ve made some that the looks really suxed…But they worked .👍

Keep at it👍

powdermeasure,

Everyone know ball horns rattle!
Sorry I couldn’t resist..😎🤣🤣🤣

Trapper Scott,
Ball bags ain’t gotta look good, they just gotta hold your balls..👍

I’ve made some that the looks really suxed…But they worked .👍

Keep at it👍
balls might rattle if I ran across rough ground but that ain't likely.

Oh! I know… I was just messing’ with ya’..👍
Kinda figured that was one of the issues brought up when you originally post it..

Seem like I’ve heard it mentioned a couple dozen times on here before..🥴👍🤣

I originally posted some pictures of the first ball bag I made and received a very discouraging comment from a knucklehead and decided to remove the pictures. But since then I had a lot of interest in the bag and discovered that several others thought it was a worthwhile project and offered some positive feedback. So I am re-posting the pictures for those interested and I'm glad there are more good folks on this forum than bad ones. Thanks for the encouragement folks. I know it's not a professional job, but I'm pretty fond of it.
Trapper Scott:
I (personally) think it's pretty nice / unique.
Keep up the good work.
God bless:
Two Feathers

I never was a fast runner…
But if there’s a hillside I can lay down and roll with the best of them !

5D047835-68E0-4B96-AFAF-E873F0E5A7DD.jpeg

It appears that I may have an alignment issue…🤣

Back