• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Ball Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the OP that is a good looking ball bag.

The dye streaks add character creating the ”no two bags look alike” feature.

I made a smaller version but found it difficult to get my 54 cal balls out, even though I made the interior neck opening ~1.5 times the ball dia.

What is the inside neck diameter?

Was your leather wet formed on a roundish object? As it looks puffed up.

To the OP that is a good looking ball bag.

The dye streaks add character creating the ”no two bags look alike” feature.

I made a smaller version but found it difficult to get my 54 cal balls out, even though I made the interior neck opening ~1.5 times the ball dia.

What is the inside neck diameter?

Was your leather wet formed on a roundish object? As it looks puffed up.
Thanks for the compliments on my rough bag. The neck opening measures about 5/8" x 7/8" and I did wet form the bag by running hot faucet water over it for a few minutes, then I packed it with rice using a little stick (causing the roundish look). Then I just hung it up in front of my small heater and let it dry. I didn't use a plug while it was drying because I wanted a tight fit for a plug and still hadn't decided on what I was going to use as a plug. When it dried it just so happened to be the shape of a piece of deer antler I had left over from a knife handle project. Please excuse the poor picture quality, but you can still get the idea.

Attachments

• ball bag measurements 1.jpg
    ball bag measurements 1.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 0
  • ball bag measurements 2.jpg
    ball bag measurements 2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ball bag top view.jpg
    ball bag top view.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ball bag side view.jpg
    ball bag side view.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 0
I caught your first post after you had deleted the photos and I was afraid I wouldn't get to see the bag. Thanks for reposting, I do like it. The workmanship looks very good and the braided carry strap is super. I expect every one you make from here on will look even better.

I cut up the first one I made and threw away all except the spout I had turned and it needs some rework. It was ugly but I can say it had two things going for it: it held balls and it stood upright on the bench. I tried to keep it out of sight as much as I could and no one ever put me down for it but I never received a + comment either. :D

Where are you in VA now? I'm a little north of Winchester.

I caught your first post after you had deleted the photos and I was afraid I wouldn't get to see the bag. Thanks for reposting, I do like it. The workmanship looks very good and the braided carry strap is super. I expect every one you make from here on will look even better.

I cut up the first one I made and threw away all except the spout I had turned and it needs some rework. It was ugly but I can say it had two things going for it: it held balls and it stood upright on the bench. I tried to keep it out of sight as much as I could and no one ever put me down for it but I never received a + comment either. :D

Where are you in VA now? I'm a little north of Winchester.
I'm in Wise VA, down next to the KY border. Yeah, my bag won't win any beauty contest, but it's functional and holds balls securely. I actually put it to work today when I shot my little crocket rifle for the first time. I use to live in Crystal City back before I retired and sure do miss all the good gun shows they had in the area. But, that's the only thing I miss about the Arlington area. There are going to be a few Antique rifle shows near you coming up in Front Royal and Carlisle PA.

Looks good to me and you have to start some where. Besides it is your bag and no one else has to like it. I made a bunch of bags over the years and some look good and some don't but they all do the job they were intended to do. As you make more they will get better and nicer and how many bags has your critics made and how many years has he been making them. Go for it, it just takes practice.

Looks good to me and you have to start some where. Besides it is your bag and no one else has to like it. I made a bunch of bags over the years and some look good and some don't but they all do the job they were intended to do. As you make more they will get better and nicer and how many bags has your critics made and how many years has he been making them. Go for it, it just takes practice.
Yep and thanks. I like it, but there are a few things I will change when I make the next one like not cutting the leather at such a drastic curve by the spout, and maybe sewing wings on both sides for another strapping point. And I'm still pretty stoked about it the way it is.

scottbeverly2004. I too am going to try leather work. I hope my first-time project ( hawk cover for my belt) turns out as good as yours did. I, long time ago learned to ignore the naysayers and listen to the constructive feedback. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. By the way I like the bag. Bruce 👍

scottbeverly2004. I too am going to try leather work. I hope my first-time project ( hawk cover for my belt) turns out as good as yours did. I, long time ago learned to ignore the naysayers and listen to the constructive feedback. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. By the way I like the bag. Bruce 👍
Thank you

Latest posts

Back