• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My first 1860 part failure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just had my first ever part failure on one of my BP revolvers while shooting at my local gun range. Just after the second cylinder load, the revolver locked up and the hammer would not cock and the cylinder would not rotate as the bolt was locked in place in a cylinder bolt recess. Taking the revolver apart, one arm on the bolt was snapped off. The revolver is one of my oldest 1860s that has probably shot several hundreds of 20 to 25 gr. BP loads. I figure that the bolt just wore out over time probably due to fracture fatigue of the metal. I’ve read some time ago that this is the most common part to fail in a BP revolver. Amazing that I got high usage of this revolver given that I purchased it some 15 years ago. I ordered up a new bolt from Taylor’s and Company, installed it in the revolver and I'm now back in the shooting business. 😁

1670534698856.png

Whatever brand gun it is, it's a Pietta bolt . . .
The left arm ( the one that broke) should be at least half the thickness of what you see.

Mike

Whatever brand gun it is, it's a Pietta bolt . . .
The left arm ( the one that broke) should be at least half the thickness of what you see.

Mike
This brings up an interesting question. Is a Uberti 1860 bolt better quality and can it be interchanged in a Pietta 1860?

This brings up an interesting question. Is a Uberti 1860 bolt better quality and can it be interchanged in a Pietta 1860?

Not easy. The Uberti bolt is great quality and made close to the originals. It would be best to "massage" the Pietta bolt though. They may be thick parts but they can be made to work "indefinitely" just like any other.
What I do is make the arm longer by cutting into the bolt body forward to just shy of the bolt head ( longer = more flexibility). Then thin that thing to at least half it's original thickness. That'll extend the life of that part considerably!!
This is the mod to an already thin Uberti bolt.
20211101_194721.jpg

20211101_194959.jpg

The under side.

Mike

Last edited:
Back