• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My favorite huntin buddy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago before our deer season started I Started taking my son on some hunts and woods walks, he is 6 which I think is still to young to really be hunting, I know my kid and he isn’t quite ready yet but loves to go! So it’s definitely a lesson for the both of us, on this outing we learned about “feather” feet... he sounded like a water Buffalo at first!! We did some trekkin, as much as you can with a little one, had a fire and jelly beans his favorite, built a deer blind for the up coming season and even got some meat for the pot he loves squirrel nuggets! Then again who doesn’t. Not going to lie it was a little hard at first and I think I was a little hard on him only bc I want him to learn, but I softened up when after we got the squirrel he told me how happy he was and that he prayed to the Father that I would shoot one.. about cried my eyes out in the woods Hahahah. So who else has a huntin buddy they would like to share about? Could be of one long past but the memories are still here or could be of a current one, what’s your stories??

Attachments

• DA71605D-DCA8-4A75-97A9-5E0AE0A0D4A1.jpeg
    DA71605D-DCA8-4A75-97A9-5E0AE0A0D4A1.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
In1964/65, I built a small rifle on a greener drop block action. As I remember the British called it a BSA,, made for training youth. It was perfect for my 11/12 year old son. We spent a bit of time shooting paper and cans; we also went after little California deer. We never scored but he learned to shoot well. After I retired from USAF, [1973] we hunted in Idaho, and he scored on the first shot he fired when we were together. His wife also shot a nice doe that day with a borrowed 25-20. Too small? Yes, but I put her behind a downed tree about 15 yards from a well-worn trail. Easy shot, dead deer. I later shot a very large Mule deer buck that same morning. One hour, first day of season, three deer. A good day was had by all. Polecat ... [memories made]

In1964/65, I built a small rifle on a greener drop block action. As I remember the British called it a BSA,, made for training youth. It was perfect for my 11/12 year old son. We spent a bit of time shooting paper and cans; we also went after little California deer. We never scored but he learned to shoot well. After I retired from USAF, [1973] we hunted in Idaho, and he scored on the first shot he fired when we were together. His wife also shot a nice doe that day with a borrowed 25-20. Too small? Yes, but I put her behind a downed tree about 15 yards from a well-worn trail. Easy shot, dead deer. I later shot a very large Mule deer buck that same morning. One hour, first day of season, three deer. A good day was had by all. Polecat ... [memories made]
Yes memories made! And memories you’ll never forget thank you for sharing!

Yes memories made! And memories you’ll never forget thank you for sharing!

When I was about six, my daddy took me out hunting squirrels. This was the very first time. He told me that I had to stay still, no shifting on my butt, no rubbing my nose! I was like a statue! He shot six squirrels that day with an Ithaca single shot .22. The first one he shot fell out of the tree and hit a stone outcrop. He told me to run fetch it. Of course I did. I remember in my little boy mind that there was blood on the rock where the squirrel hit. I was impressed with his shot, and I was moved by the blood on the rock. But I took up the squirrel and brought it to daddy. He shot five more that afternoon/evening. He showed me how to carry them down to the house by threading the paws thru my fingers. I was so proud to carry them! As we skinned them, fleas would jump off the cooling squirrel bodies onto our hands!

I had the joy of teaching my daughter to hunt. first big game hunt, we sat in full camo on a downed tree as 6 whitetail does frolicked around us within spear distance.
Her eyes said it all. as big as saucers and wide and sparkling. later that same day she got her first deer.
sadly we lost her to a mental disorder. she still lives but. sorry
the joys of hearing of a new young hunter are enormous. cherish your son.

I had the joy of teaching my daughter to hunt. first big game hunt, we sat in full camo on a downed tree as 6 whitetail does frolicked around us within spear distance.
Her eyes said it all. as big as saucers and wide and sparkling. later that same day she got her first deer.
God has given you a trial. It is also a gift which reflects his love of you.

Yes sir good on you. We have to take the younguns out young.

I was shocked one year on our dove opener when my buddy tells me his kids were crying and beggin to go with him but he said no. There i was with my three boys at probably 5,7,8 age and they were bird dogging for me. It was great. Now days they are shooting too. Not once have i seen that friend bring his two boys who are now probably mid highschool age.

Our dads took us, we need to return the favor to ours. If you dont take em hunting, they wont be hunters. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I was brought into the woods as a wee lad. I brought my boys into the forest when they were small. it hasn't taken with my boys too much. One of them loves to shoot, but there are no hunters! But my heart breaks for DSTom ! That's a great sad story!!

A beautiful though heartbreaking story. Thank you for sharing it.
You have my deepest sympathy for your loss. She does live on......

As many have mentioned I too am sorry for your loss and I appreciate you sharing. You and your family are in my prayers, I think of the day the Lord said all tears will be wiped away and all things will be made new, all will be restored this isn’t our eternity.

My first huntin buddy is 92. I still take him fishing but don’t take him hunting anymore…I call him dad. My latest is 19 and enrolled at OU. I’m not sure he will ever truly embrace hunting with the passion I have in my life but we have made some memories. I started taking him to the woods when he was 4, letting him sit buckled in a ladder stand with me and letting him eat more Vienna weenies than his mom needed to know about. We squirrel hunted with his grandpa and deer hunted from the time he was in the 5th grade on. Enjoy your hunting buddy while you have him. I cherish the years with the two of mine.

My first huntin buddy is 92. I still take him fishing but don’t take him hunting anymore…I call him dad. My latest is 19 and enrolled at OU. I’m not sure he will ever truly embrace hunting with the passion I have in my life but we have made some memories. I started taking him to the woods when he was 4, letting him sit buckled in a ladder stand with me and letting him eat more Vienna weenies than his mom needed to know about. We squirrel hunted with his grandpa and deer hunted from the time he was in the 5th grade on. Enjoy your hunting buddy while you have him. I cherish the years with the two of mine.
I love that! The Vienna weenies made me laugh bc my son eats sardines like they are going out of style and my wife hates the smell hahaha I wait till she leaves and we crack em open but no matter how many candles I light when she gets home she smells em! As for hunting with a 92 year old I also do the same but I call him Pap Z. Always called my Grandfathers Pap and just used the first letter of their last name to identify em. We went buck hunting this year he still goes in the woods with a gun. I told him I was going to sit with him but at morning drop off he made me sit in a stand my uncle was supposed to sit in.. he said just sit there for an hour I ended up there for four hours. On the third hour I told him I wanted to sit with him bc to be honest I just like being with him, he insisted I stay for one more hour.. well it paid off ended up getting a beautiful 10 point. We shot 6 bucks that day in our party, they filled up the truck for sure! When him and I were leaving he started to cry bc he said to me “Luke I hand picked everyone of those spots you your cousins and uncles shot bucks from, I have had a wonderful life and am happy to still be in the woods.” I won’t stop hunting with him till he stops snd I won’t stop hunting where we hunt till they kick us out.

Attachments

• 8EEC13CE-C66C-4EA0-AD76-FE4BF6BE8CB3.jpeg
    8EEC13CE-C66C-4EA0-AD76-FE4BF6BE8CB3.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Back