• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My Edward Marshall Rifle is Completed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an amazing looking rifle! I'm sure you will enjoy carrying it for many, many years. Best wishes. :hatsoff:

Thanks, guys. I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good starter kit for shooting this rifle, probably from Track of the Wolf? I'm sure I need some more flints, and probably a knapping tool and vent prick.

You have a beautiful gun. What previous experience have you had with black powder firearms? That information may change what would be recommended for your starter kit.

Depending on items you already have, your kit should include the additional flints that are the same width as the frizzen and some leather to wrap the flint.

You should get some balls that are about 0.010" less than the bore diameter. You will want patching material that is about 0.015 to 0.018" thick. Use spit or Windex for patch lube at first. You will need an adjustable powder measure. For cleaning you need a range rod, bore protector and a cleaning/loading jag. A short starter may make loading easier, but may not be necessary. Since this is a flintlock get a pound of 3fg Black Powder. Note that we don't know what the caliber of your rifle is so I am suggesting a finer grade of powder than might otherwise be recommended so you can use one powder for your load and your prime. Yes get the knapping tool and vent pick. You can wipe your pan with a small damp cloth.

Shoot the gun a few hundred times and tell us about your experience.

Thanks, I have pretty much all that stuff as I have been a percussion lock shooter for many years. It is a 58 caliber rifle, and since I already have a 58 caliber barrel for my Thompson Center Hawken, I've got a pretty good supply of round balls. I would think that a small priming flask would be a good idea, too.

First, get real black powder. The subs don't work well in a flinter. The small priming flasks are convenient, but they only seem to work well with 4F. Also, file a 45 degree bevel on the end to keep pan fouling from clogging it.

Back