My early Texas persona, circa 1830

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by William O., Jul 24, 2012.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1

William O.

William O.

William O.

54 Cal.

I am basing the first three generations on the actual history of my family, then I leave the area and trade with the Seminole & Creek Nation tribes in the Southeast before making my way to Texas around 1830 or so.

Here's how we started out; Two brothers from Scotland who were involved in the Border Wars arrived in the Carolinas around 1760 or so it's believed, but sometime after the battle of Culledon, Culloden 1746. It was perhaps Edward's and George's parents that convinced them to leave Scotland and move to the Colonies where at least one them, my 6th great grandfather, George, was a spy during the American Revolution.

My 6th great uncle Edward was in Randolph Co., NC in 1782. He sold the farm and moved to South Carolina about 1787. He was scalped and killed in 1793 in Franklin Co., GA. His property was near the Toolgaloo River.

George, my direct ancestor was a spy for the South Carolina militia according to D.A.R. records. GEORGE TOWERY married LIDE LEDFORD in Guilford County. Their marriage bond is dated 20 May however the year is not included. It had to have been between 1770, the year Guilford County was formed, and 1776, as the bond is pledged to the King. GEORGE and LIDE lived in Caraway, NC, in the shadow of Shepherd Mountain and are listed in the 1790 Randolph County census as being in the Hillsboro District. Their sons, ADAM - EDWARD - and GEORGE JR., eventually settled in Rutherford, Lincoln, and Cleveland Counties. The only daughter that we have any records of is ELIZABETH. She married JOHN ROBBINS and apparently lived, raised her family, and died in Randolph County. ADAM married NANCY McCURRY and they became the parents of at least 6 children. George &?Lide’s 2nd child, EDWARD TOWERY (my ancestor) was born about 1774 probably in Guilford Co., NC. He died at about the age of 45 (his probate records are dated Dec. 1819). He left a widow, JEMIMA, and at least 4 children: James Micajah (Cage) (also my direct ancestor); John; Lydia; George Stetler; and a daughter who apparently died young.

This is where my persona picks up and starts and I assume the identity of James Micajah Towery, whom they call Cage. Born in 1800 he leaves North Carolina on his 18th birthday and takes jobs as a lumberman, felling trees and supplying wood to local saw mills. He makes good wages but looks towards the frontier, wandering ever to the south as long as the forests hold out and provide a place to employ his skills he eventually starts trading with the local tribes, Seminoles and Creek Nation mostly. in 1830 he decides to set out for Texas because everyone who has come come from there tells of vast expanses of land that are there for those who aren't afraid of hard work. So he sells everything he doesn't need, buys a new caplock rifle from some traders who have come down the Mississippi river from Saint Louis to New Orleans along with other supplies and heads west for Texas. Upon arrival in the then virgin pine forests of East Texas he employs his skills as a lumberman supplying wood to local sawmills.
    Any suggestions, tweaks or rewrites?

2. Jul 25, 2012 #2

William O.

William O.

William O.

54 Cal.

Here are some pics of my outfit so far. The shirt has a stand up collar and is made of ivory colored linen with bone buttons with the wool vest also having a stand up collar with wood buttons.
    [​IMG]
    I don't as yet have a coat, other than a hunting frock but I am going to have a proper 1830 style coat made for me by Just Sarah/Northern Traders or get a kit from Custom Vestments.
    [​IMG]

3. Jul 29, 2012 #3

Trench

Trench

Trench

62 Cal.

Looks like you're well on your way. Isn't this fun? :grin:

4. Jul 29, 2012 #4

William O.

William O.

William O.

54 Cal.

It is, and I've got a pair of pants and some mocs on their way from the seamstress right now, in hopes that I will finally look like I am from 1830 from head to toe instead of just from the waist up.

5. Aug 2, 2012 #5

nchawkeye

nchawkeye

nchawkeye

58 Cal.

I'd pick that powder horn and bag up and get it above your hips, they carry better that way...Too low they swing...I also prefer the horn above the bag...

On a side note, I live in Randolph County, NC...

Caraway has a dirt track and Mt Shepard has a church retreat complete with cabins, meeting facilites, hiking trails, ponds, slides and a short zip line...The NC Zoo is located just south of Asheboro...

6. Aug 2, 2012 #6

wahkahchimaol.com

wahkahchimaol.com

wahkahchimaol.com

45 Cal.

Great persona. A lot like mine...only my ancestor made it to California. Please keep posting your development and you'll help us out! Thanks.

7. Aug 2, 2012 #7

William O.

William O.

William O.

54 Cal.

That is very interesting, someday I'd like to visit that area and see if there are any relatives still around there.

Thank you for all the encouragement and kind comments, I will keep you posted as my persona develops.

8. Aug 3, 2012 #8

Trench

Trench

Trench

62 Cal.

I shortened my horn strap by overlapping the strap and then putting a few stitches in it to hold it. No need to cut anything.

You'll want that horn to hang just above the top of your bag.

9. Aug 3, 2012 #9

54ball

54ball

54ball

62 Cal.

You look good and a good persona :thumbsup:

10. Aug 3, 2012 #10

William O.

William O.

William O.

54 Cal.

Thank you, it has taken me two years to even get this far and my original impression is quite different from where it is today. I think there will also be additional tweaks in the future but that is part of the fun.