• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My early attempts at a Bucks County LR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Shown is one of 2 early attempts of a BC ....used a "C" weight bbl and a TG and Bplate that weren't suitable. After these 2 "BCs", found a TG and Bplate that req'd a little work to convert them to BCs. I think Knob Mountain now has both a BC TG and Bplate....how handy and am looking forward to a pic of a completed BC using these items......Fred
BucksCo2CVCDS.jpg
TOW1.jpg

Shown is one of 2 early attempts of a BC ....used a "C" weight bbl and a TG and Bplate that weren't suitable. After these 2 "BCs", found a TG and Bplate that req'd a little work to convert them to BCs. I think Knob Mountain now has both a BC TG and Bplate....how handy and am looking forward to a pic of a completed BC using these items......FredView attachment 107212View attachment 107213
Thank you Fred.
Maybe you could entertain us with a retrospective of your Bucks County builds?
Please?

I think you mean the progression of research for BC details and gaining the skills to build BCs? To begin....there wasn't a whole lot of info on BCs and the few builders who made BCs weren't that "open" w/ their info. But one BC builder did offer info and I'm very grateful to this builder. Also did research on my own by searching for any info on original BCs....very scarce to find.

BC LRs are very slender and petite as opposed to the early BC shown which had a "C" weight .54 bbl , thick webs and not enough wood was removed...wasn't "brave" enough.

The Pbox release was a "secret" at that time but again I rec'd pics from another BC builder which put me on the right path.

Wasn't pleased w/ the buttstock design on my BCs so made a tracing of the John Shuler BC shown in RCA1 and enlarged it on the computer to the stated height of the Shuler Bplate. Have used a template made from this tracing for all my subsequent builds. The reason I chose a John Shuler BC was the slightly curved combline, along w/ the more curved toeline both of which I thought were "prettier" than both being straight.

After a few attempts which were readily sold, my attempts at a truly styled BC progressed to the point where I needed to make the entry pipe w/ the elongated finial. The first of these were one piece, but then found that 2 pieces soldered together were easier to make.

Along w/ removing more wood for a very slender look, using a "B" weight bbl X46" lg and reducing the webs to 1/16" thick at the breech and 5/32" at the muzzle all contributed to a more slender BC. The thin 1/16" web at the breech req'd a different design for the bbl lug and a very accurate placement of the #6-32 front lock bolt.

A concave forestock molding wasn't found on any original BC, only incised...but decided on one for my BCs because it added to the slender look.

Didn't use an open ended Mcap w/ the RR groove because it looked "clubier" and actually some BCs had the closed ended Mcap which gave a more slender look at the muzzle.

Most of the original BCs had incised carving some of which became shallow due to wear, so I went w/ relief carving.

All my BC builds were from a blank...no suitable precarves were available and besides, some precarves don't save any time because of errors...some serious.

Some of the slenderizing was used on my Lancaster builds....not as much as w/ the BCs, but although they're early Lancasters, a little added to their looks. The bottom pic is a BC w/ one version of the elongated entry pipe.

Will be 90 yrs old this coming June ....so am very lucky indeed....Fred

Lancaster-IH 011.jpg
P1010027.JPG
P1010003.JPG

Last edited:
Very very nice guns. Did some BC use just incised carving? EDITED: Guess I should have read you other post.

I think you mean the progression of research for BC details and gaining the skills to build BCs? To begin....there wasn't a whole lot of info on BCs and the few builders who made BCs weren't that "open" w/ their info. But one BC builder did offer info and I'm very grateful to this builder. Also did research on my own by searching for any info on original BCs....very scarce to find.

BC LRs are very slender and petite as opposed to the early BC shown which had a "C" weight .54 bbl , thick webs and not enough wood was removed...wasn't "brave" enough.

The Pbox release was a "secret" at that time but again I rec'd pics from another BC builder which put me on the right path.

Wasn't pleased w/ the buttstock design on my BCs so made a tracing of the John Shuler BC shown in RCA1 and enlarged it on the computer to the stated height of the Shuler Bplate. Have used a template made from this tracing for all my subsequent builds. The reason I chose a John Shuler BC was the slightly curved combline, along w/ the more curved toeline both of which I thought were "prettier" than both being straight.

After a few attempts which were readily sold, my attempts at a truly styled BC progressed to the point where I needed to make the entry pipe w/ the elongated finial. The first of these were one piece, but then found that 2 pieces soldered together were easier to make.

Along w/ removing more wood for a very slender look, using a "B" weight bbl X46" lg and reducing the webs to 1/16" thick at the breech and 5/32" at the muzzle all contributed to a more slender BC. The thin 1/16" web at the breech req'd a different design for the bbl lug and a very accurate placement of the #6-32 front lock bolt.

A concave forestock molding wasn't found on any original BC, only incised...but decided on one for my BCs because it added to the slender look.

Didn't use an open ended Mcap w/ the RR groove because it looked "clubier" and actually some BCs had the closed ended Mcap which gave a more slender look at the muzzle.

Most of the original BCs had incised carving some of which became shallow due to wear, so I went w/ relief carving.

All my BC builds were from a blank...no suitable precarves were available and besides, some precarves don't save any time because of errors...some serious.

Some of the slenderizing was used on my Lancaster builds....not as much as w/ the BCs, but although they're early Lancasters, a little added to their looks. The bottom pic is a BC w/ one version of the elongated entry pipe.

Will be 90 yrs old this coming June ....so am very lucky indeed....Fred

View attachment 107237View attachment 107238View attachment 107249
Thank you. More information than I even hoped for.
Was just thinking of pics of your second BC amd so forth.

90 years old? God bless you Fred.

Years ago someone started a topic about dream guns. Guns we would absolutely love to own. On my list was an original small bore rifle that Spence owns, for a few reasons, the other one of I think three was, and is, one of these Bucks County guns built by our man Fred here.
I'm betting folks are starting to see why.

Thanks to all for the kind words....but, I sincerely don't post photos of my builds so as to receive compliments. I wish more builders would undertake this style which "grabbed" me many years ago. When first starting to build BCs, many what should have been BC off the shelf items weren't available, not even the TGs and Bplates, let alone the entry pipes. Instead, a Verner TG {lacks the "thumbnails} and a nondescript Bplate {also lacking the "thumbnail{"} were altered to look like the BC items on the John Shuler BC originals. During its relatively short term of popularity, the early BC LRs varied somewhat between Lehigh and Lancaster straight combed LRs and then evolved later on into the BCs w/ slightly curved combs and curved toelines. but which were more comfortable to shoot than other styles of LRs w/ the curved buttstocks. Wish that I could have built a BC using the BC Bplate and TG from Knob Mountain and the Dale Johnson lock from Chambers......Fred

knob Mountain and

Back