• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

MY CVA PROJECT.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm figuring this rifle is good practice it is cheap and mistakes won't cost me much. The experience gained will be invaluable when it is time for a real nice rifle. Baby steps right? This is what I have gotten done so far on this overhaul. The .54 cal. barrel, under lug, and tang all browned. Stock has been stripped. Now I have to re-inlet the patch box, and butt plate Seeing how they no longer fit. They butt plate was pulled tight against the stock by the two screws, so tight that when I tried to remove the one on the back side the head just popped off. Looking at the butt plate to stock inlet it's not even close. The patch box no longer fits the inlet I could probably hammer it in as they did at the factory but I need the practice. The escutcheons wedge plate were never inlet, so I'll be doing that too. I haven't checked whether the lock fits back in the stock because its at home and I'm at work.

They butt plate was pulled tight against the stock by the two screws, so tight that when I tried to remove the one on the back side the head just popped off. Looking at the butt plate to stock inlet it's not even close. The patch box no longer fits the inlet I could probably hammer it in as they did at the factory but I need the practice. The escutcheons wedge plate were never inlet, so I'll be doing that too. I haven't checked whether the lock fits back in the stock because its at home and I'm at work.
Did you get the snapped off screw out of the wood?
I've used Vise Grip type locking pliers to do this but I found that sometimes there isn't enough exposed screw shank to get a good grip on it.

After remembering this whole area will be hidden by the butt plate when the gun is put together, I used a small chisel to cut away the wood around the body of the screw, leaving a large enough hole for the Vise Grip's to get a good grip on the screw.
Once that was done, unscrewing the old screw body was easy. :)

I've been picking you alls' brains for a while now so I'm going to bump this thread up with an update. Barrel and rib are browned. I installed traditional rear fixed sight installed along with a Lyman over sized front sight. The barrel assembly is ready for installing. The stock inletting complete sanded whiskered and stained with LMF Walnut. First coat of Permalyn sealer applied. Brass is all polished up and ready for final assembly. I ordered all new wood screws from Blacksmith Bolt and Rivet. Not sure if I will brown them heat them with a torch and dip them in oil to blue them, or cold blue them. Maybe Ill' do a set of each and see what I like best. I'll post pictures when it is complete. It is getting closer. I'm already looking forward to the next project.

Last edited:
I do believe I have applied the final coat of finish. I intend on letting it cure for at least 48 hours. Then wax and final assembly. I heat blued the screws and I think they will look good in the brass hardware. I polished the rifle bore with JB's Bore Bright and Bore Shine. It took about an hour of lapping with a 45 cal. brush wrapped with two patches and it now shines like a mirror. All the rough spots I found when I first started lapping are gone and patches glide the full length of the bore with no noticeable rough spots. I can't wait to shoot the big bore 54 Pig with Ear Rings! Photos in a few days, I promise!

Back