• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My Custom Fussil de Chase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its my first act of woodwork on a indian gun i was very sweaty at many times..😜😜😜it the Look authentic ?! I have not the look
We’ll first let me say my TFC is a Centermark so not the most authentic. So let’s be clear I ain’t thumping you. There should be molding infront of and around lock plate, a continuation of the tear drop, and molding around the tang. The muzzle end should have been cut back a little.
It’s a sweetie and I wish mine looked as good

We’ll first let me say my TFC is a Centermark so not the most authentic. So let’s be clear I ain’t thumping you. There should be molding infront of and around lock plate, a continuation of the tear drop, and molding around the tang. The muzzle end should have been cut back a little.
It’s a sweetie and I wish mine looked as good
Well, not exactly 100% true. A simple Google search can show us that not all Fusil de Chasse had panel and tang carvings. A quick examples below:

Attachments

• amoskeag 1.jpg
    amoskeag 1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 31
  • amoskeag 2.jpg
    amoskeag 2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 27
Hey guys! If you can't open the file, look in the upper right corner of your screen. You should see the file there, with an "open file" option. Someone else may have said this, but I'm repeating it. I had enough personal bandwidth to figure this out.

Well, not exactly 100% true. A simple Google search can show us that not all Fusil de Chasse had panel and tang carvings. A quick examples below:
Thanks for the images. If you look close it seem that this gun has two tang bolts and the trigger guard is different from those of the usual hunting gun that I usually see on the net while searching for images for my build. The cock ,lock plate, the pan and frizzen sprng finalley are also seem wrong. Not picking, just don't understand it all. I know they are not all alike but this one really looks different from the usual.

Jack

There's a very good book The Fusil de Tulle in New France, 1691-1741 by Russel Bouchard. I think anyone interested in trade guns, French firearms in the New World, or just general firearms history ought to have a copy. I got my copy from Track of the Wolf. It's also modestly priced. If you prefer, you could find it on Amazon, I'm certain.

I may be wrong but hand made guns from the 1700's probably had more variations then we admit to. How many of us tried to make something and it didn't turn out exactly as we had planned because we were having a bad day? Ever hear it must have been made on a M:)onday?

Hi Jaeger,
First, to assure you that I know about what I write here are some examples of New England (very French influenced) and English fowlers I've built.
5pu3x4r.jpg

7gMDl4j.jpg

0WYfefu.jpg

9eXsEpC.jpg

zWwwKZk.jpg

niAYIi2.jpg

a0WQ1wE.jpg

Msk4FUV.jpg

a5qlNf7.jpg

Your stock still has too much wood left on. It needs to be thinned along the barrel channel and the top edge should be lowered a bit more to expose more of the barrel. We have a saying attributed to Allen Martin, "Remove enough wood until you are scared and then take off a little more."

The flat areas bordering the lock and side plate are too wide. They should be thinned to about 3mm and the shape of the edges should be concave not convex. Thinning them will reduce the need for the big ugly notch for the flint cock. The French often carved the lock panels without much care on these trade guns but they were usually more well defined and smaller than yours. Use half-round and round files, and rounded scrapers to form those edges rather than sandpaper. Look closely at the photos I posted and see how I shaped those areas. You don't see any notches required for the flint cock on my fowlers and they were usually very small or absent on the original guns as well.

dave
Hi Dave, I've ordered a fowler from Jim Chambers with a cherry stock and really like the fowler you made using the aniline dyes. I've looked at Woodworkers Supply and saw all the different dyes, you mentioned scarlet, found that one, but the browns are numerous as is the black (black should be easy) could you be a little more distinct? That color on your stock really grabbed me, your an artist! Thanks!

Back