• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My custom California copper ML bullet.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google says .472
I found 15 mm copper balls for sale from some foreign company that specializes in spherical objects of all kinds. The price for one 15 mm round copper ball, according to this company, is just about exactly $30. For just one. AACK! I think I'll go for the 15 mm brass balls, and shoot two at once, since each one has less mass than lead balls.

Why don't you just do it like "everybody" else for 1/3 of the cost?

1-Buy a mold.

2- Buy Bismuth ingots with the *certification.

3- Shoot the now completely legal Bismuth RB.

We shoot lead at the range, and confirm zero/trajectory with Bismuth on occasion. You would have to hunt quite a bit to expend even a few hundred balls per season.

*The Bismuth from the source can provide a certificate that the alloy conforms to the DFW regs.

Why don't you just do it like "everybody" else for 1/3 of the cost?
1. Because I am not just like everybody else. 2. If you buy me a 59 caliber custom mold and a pound of bismuth, then I'll do it your way. Until then, I'm doing it my own hayseed homegrown way, and I'll report the results with a video of the first shot of a 15 mm by 11/16 in long cylindrical round. I'll send you my name and address per your request. Signed, Roger.

1. Because I am not just like everybody else. 2. If you buy me a 59 caliber custom mold and a pound of bismuth, then I'll do it your way. Until then, I'm doing it my own hayseed homegrown way, and I'll report the results with a video of the first shot of a 15 mm by 11/16 in long cylindrical round. I'll send you my name and address per your request. Signed, Roger.
Fair enough.....................you got me there!

I'll admit. When I first saw this thread I thought "Now whyinell you wanna do that?" CUZ I CAN. I get it.
When the OP mentioned just using a cylindrical slug like a wadcutter I thought that was simple to the point of working just fine...ballistic coefficient be doggoned. I enjoy watching folk do it their way then grinning when it works.
Failures are fun to watch too though long as nobody bleeds too much.

wm

I did a little research and found that the 50BMG round is a hardened steel core, not lead.
Its been over 25 years since I was in Commiefornia, but there used to be a section in the hunting regs that stated hunting with FMJ bullets was illegal. I don't know how they would classify solid copper.

Back