My Colonial Lap Desk

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Pietro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw one of these lap desks in an antique store, and decided to clone one.

I use it both on my lap, and in an area where there's no convenient writing surface (like in a vehicle)

The bottom is covered in felt, so as not to scratch whatever it's used on.

Pietro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Be sure to post some pics of it, Doc - once you're done ! 😎

cvco

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I saw one like this in a shop decades ago and couldnt imagine why anyone would care. After becoming older, i remembered it and wish I had it. Would you consider making one for me?

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Nice work, my school masters desk is a lot larger, I use mine when serving as school master at the Eastern primitive rendezvous. mine is large enough to hold many supplies I need for the school. paper powels, handsantiser, varius papers,pencils, etc. But yours is more convient for most uses.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hatchet-Jack

40 Cal
Reaction score
That's great! I recently learned how to cut a feather quill and use it with ink. I'll have to make one of these!

Pietro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Nice work, my school masters desk is a lot larger, I use mine when serving as school master at the Eastern primitive rendezvous. mine is large enough to hold many supplies I need for the school. paper powels, handsantiser, varius papers,pencils, etc. But yours is more convient for most uses.

The first desk I made, about 30 years ago, was a school master's desk

Pietro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw one like this in a shop decades ago and couldn't imagine why anyone would care. After becoming older, i remembered it and wish I had it. Would you consider making one for me?

I don't think I can do very good, making something to order, or to the taste of someone other than myself (sorry).

However, here's pics of a partially-completed 10"x15"x2-3/4" lightweight lap desk of a different style, that I would let go.

It has a dyed leather writing surface, the top folds forward to make a somewhat longer writing surface, a pen/pencil bin w/hinged lid, and a lower paper storage area.

It's been painted, but can be stripped/stained if you wish, and the hinged top could use a small closure hook on the side.

Last edited: