My centermark

Discussion in 'French & Indian War' started by tenngun, Sep 22, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Oct 13, 2019 #21

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Just curious, how did Earl Kathan deal with getting the new wood ramrod to clear the front lock bolt. My Centermark has a very thin diameter rod to begin with and it didn't clear the bolt originally so either Centermark or the original owner shave one side of the rod flat. So now it clears the bolt, but only goes in one way.

2. Oct 14, 2019 #22

Einsiedler

Einsiedler

Einsiedler

40 Cal.

Brokennock,

Yes, mine does have same fleur de lis under a crown on the top flat at the breech. Sorry I could not see your pic well and thought it was some kind of letter under the crown.

3. Oct 15, 2019 #23

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Thanks. I can't see it well either,,,,, in the pic or in reality. My eyes are changing fast. Not for the better.

4. Oct 15, 2019 #24

rickystl

rickystl

rickystl

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Hi Brokennock. Earl put the new wood rod in a lathe and turned it down to a pointed end like a cone. That way it would go through the hole from any approach. But you can't push down on the end of the ramrod without poking a hole in your hand. Filing/sanding a flat might be the better option. Now I know why the original owner converted to an iron rod. Sounds like this was a common issue with all Centermark's ?
    Rick

5. Oct 16, 2019 #25

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

50 Cal.

Interesting....I would have thinned down the forward lock bolt amidships, making it concave in the middle, removing just enough metal for the rod to clear.

Brokennock likes this.
  6. Oct 16, 2019 #26

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

50 Cal.

Looks like someone tried to turn that FDC into a fusil grenadier, a musket issued to grenadier companies, and the Compagnie Franche de la Marine.

7. Oct 16, 2019 #27

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Centermark sent building instruction when you bought the kit that had how to do that.

8. Oct 17, 2019 #28

Capn' D

Capn' D

Capn' D

32 Cal MLF Supporter

I have a Centermark I had built about 1983. It does not have those issues. The ramrod does taper all the way down slightly however. I've broken 2 over 30+ years. Always had to put them in a lathe and sand them to taper.

9. Oct 17, 2019 #29

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

This is the current plan once I get a new ramrod blank and settle on what to get for a rear sight. Need something that would have been available between 1750s and 1780s, even if not having been documented as used on an FdC.

tenngun likes this.
  10. Oct 17, 2019 #30

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I put a Lancaster sight on mine, makes it a whole lot easier to shoot for me

11. Oct 26, 2019 #31

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

32 Cal

This style rear sight is French.....the gun was not a FDC but the early gun TM Hamilton classified as a type "C"......it has a shallow dove tail similar to a type "G". Note how close the sight is the breech....both the English & French are putting the rear sight about 3-4" from the breech. Looking through mine is more like a peep IMG_20190407_094129465.jpg IMG_20190407_094544627.jpg IMG_20190407_094459577.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Brokennock likes this.
  12. Oct 28, 2019 #32

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Thanks. I've been in contact with a few gunsmiths/makers about adding a rear sight to mine. Trying to decide on which rear sight and wear to get one. Was mostly considering a type-G sight, but only a few places offer them, when in stock, and it is an English sight. I have been wondering about the possibility of what it would take to use the gun's incorrect features as a FdC, such as the light colored maple stock, and have it represent more of a New England fowler or buck-n-ball piece. This would seem to make the English sight a bit more acceptable.

13. Oct 28, 2019 #33

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

32 Cal

If your handy with a hack saw, grinder/dremil tool & file IMG_20191028_062309062.jpg you can make that "butterfly" French sight. . Instead of a notch to sight down.....it's just two inclined planes that create an obtuse angle. When I look at the sight pictured on the "type C" and I look at the early high art gun ......the sight looks like a cross between the two....it's dovetailed into the barrel (the high art gun sight looks to be soldered in place) The brass rear sight on my gun was patterned after an original dug at Fort Toulouse.
    The second gun pictured is also French 1721....it doesn't have a rear sight but I thought I would share that plate......I love the stock architecture.......the butt stock has slight concavity and the comb is slightly convex....... perhaps this gun is showing the move to the classic "pied de vache" stock architecture associated with the FDC. I really believe you could make that sight......if I can do it, ANY one can! Good luck with your project
    David

Attached Files:

Brokennock likes this.