• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderhead

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am new here obviously. I joined this forum so that I could ask some questions about the cannon that I built last year. I am getting ready to drill a .200" touch hole in it tomorrow. It is a repro. of an 1860 Parrot rifle. It is three pieces of 1" hot rolled seamless sleeved inside of one another. In the breech end there is 3" of steel on the side wall and appox. 4" in the endwall. I intended for it to be a lawn ornament and a 4th of July salute cannon. I only built it because I had the materials on hand and "I could."
Your thoughts and input would be appreciated. I have found some 54" wheels for it and am looking for the materials (oak)to make the carriage.
The stuff you see in the background is from where I used to work. I had a nice job, and they used to let me do stuff like this in my spare time. I am now retired from that place (after 36 years) and have taken another job as a high school machine shop / welding instructor, so I have another nice shop full of toys to build things with.

DSC04480.jpg

DSC04478.jpg

DSC04477.jpg

DSC04466.jpg

If I understand you correctly this tube is a composite of three layers.

How did you join them?

What is the diameter of your bore?

When you drill your vent you want to put a vent liner in. Don't fire this barrel even one time wiht out that vent liner. A vent liner will make one continuous path from chamber to outside the barrel and will keep the powder fouling out of the seam of the various layer of barrel. If you don't do this over a period of time rust and corrosion will slowly develop at the seams and the vent can fail.

Okay, that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I am told that I want to drill a .200" fuse hole. How do I construct this vent hole liner you are referring to.

I just got off the phone with Steen cannon down in Ky. Very nice guy who was a great help. Turns out I had the information I needed all along and didn't know it. I have the Field Ordnance text No.12 on this gun from Ohio Ordnance. There is a working drawing in there that shows me how to make a vent liner. I bought it to see how the carriage was built, and I overlooked the drawing on the vent liner. Okay, more work to do now.

Back in the 60s,IIRC, Science & Mechanics magazine had an article on building a scale model Parrot rifle with detailed drawings for the barrel and carriage. I can't put my hands on it right now, but if you are interested, I can copy it for you.

Paul

Back