• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, not too historically correct by any measure but it has brought a lot of oohs's and aah's to family gatherings and echoed up and down the valley heralding the birth of a nation every forth of July for over forty years. I made it from 316 stainless steel, 2" bore. I made a bunch of them, this was the biggest. The carriage is just hem-fir lumber yard wood and wheels from a farm implement junk yard.
Robby
DSCN0195.jpeg

Well, not too historically correct by any measure but it has brought a lot of oohs's and aah's to family gatherings and echoed up and down the valley heralding the birth of a nation every forth of July for over forty years. I made it from 316 stainless steel, 2" bore. I made a bunch of them, this was the biggest. The carriage is just hem-fir lumber yard wood and wheels from a farm implement junk yard.
Robby
View attachment 108228
Way cool! Nice photo, the woods there look relaxing! (When there's not a cannon being fired!):)

Fine looking field piece! With that handsome rig I’d be band sawing out wood to clamp on to form rims and spokes.

Fine looking field piece! With that handsome rig I’d be band sawing out wood to clamp on to form rims and spokes.
Phil, that is something I started on about thirty years + ago and seem to get side tracked with regularity, I'll have to look around and see if I can find my parts.
Robby

Robby
View attachment 108228
I bet that thing is a monster boom! Super cool profile too!

Robby
View attachment 108228
There is, believe it or not, an actual cannon that had wheels almost exactly like these. One is on display at a park in Phoenixville, Pa., there was a foundry there during the Civil War and beyond, Phoenix Steel. It was a type cannon to be rolled off of ships, I don't recall the exact nomenclature. I have a beautiful snapshot of it, but don't/can't post on line, but maybe you can find in on the web. When I 1st saw the gun on an elevated base, I thought it was a hokey made up thing, but a pal who is very knowledgeable about cannons indicated it's verity. (The tube in question is a bronze original barrel. So, your model is not all that far off!

Back