• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My Black Powder room

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the 1800s faux stripes were done with ink. Painted right on.

The rifle pictured below is an Ohio rifle made in the mid 1850’s, .32 caliber, and the stock was done with ink. It is not touched up except for the toe and around the lock where wood was replaced. The stripes were added to the new wood and finished to match.

06A12D4F-9BB3-490D-921A-F201916179A8.jpeg
F6B60451-33E3-4773-AB06-9456D5058C22.jpeg
07285623-1E7C-4178-A007-610B24E19DC7.jpeg
90918503-F7D9-4EB1-84A8-35D884AD6F5F.jpeg

back in the day we used to soak a piece of rope / cotton, not the rope with a nylon center in KEROSENE wrap it around the stock and lite it. it will make a beautiful dark area where it was. sand and done.! we also did it on our ramrods.! give it a try on a scrap piece of wood.

I envy you guys who can display your treasures, I live at the end of a dead end road out in the country with a trailer park just down the road, an unhealthy contingent of crackheads live there. So far no one has broken into my place, I am here most of the time.

Here is my gun room, just in case, special order, double walled, 1/4" outside shell, 12ga inside shell and weighs 1500 lbs. I have four 15K jacks under the floor to support it.

gun safe 001_zpsc3c0xpar.jpg

I envy you guys who can display your treasures, I live at the end of a dead end road out in the country with a trailer park just down the road, an unhealthy contingent of crackheads live there. So far no one has broken into my place, I am here most of the time.

Here is my gun room, just in case, special order, double walled, 1/4" outside shell, 12ga inside shell and weighs 1500 lbs. I have four 15K jacks under the floor to support it.

Sorry to hear this. I should count my blessing that I don't have a crackhead infested trailer park located near me.

My black powder room is also my carpentry, leather working, motorcycle and RV shop. Everything is on wheels. Roll some stuff out of the way and start another project. Most of the time the camper is in a storage facility but all the stuff that goes with it, like tools and grills and such are stored in the garage.
KIMG0983.JPG

In the 1800s faux stripes were done with ink. Painted right on.

The rifle pictured below is an Ohio rifle made in the mid 1850’s, .32 caliber, and the stock was done with ink. It is not touched up except for the toe and around the lock where wood was replaced. The stripes were added to the new wood and finished to match.

View attachment 90357View attachment 90358View attachment 90359View attachment 90360
One of the writers for Muzzleblasts magazine did couple interesting articles where he showed how he did this with brush and I think brown leather dye. Came out fantastic. That's nice little percussion rifle there. Thanks.

My BP room is in the garage which is detached in the back yard about 50 ft. from the house. I live in a cul de sac street with about 20 homes out in farmland. My acre has a 6ft block wall completely enclosing my place with limited access gates and a big azz german shepherd dog ruling the yard.
Also my place is the least prosperous place in the neighborhood meaning there are better pickins close by. We've had precious little trouble here in the 30 years I've lived here.

back in the day we used to soak a piece of rope / cotton, not the rope with a nylon center in KEROSENE wrap it around the stock and lite it. it will make a beautiful dark area where it was. sand and done.! we also did it on our ramrods.! give it a try on a scrap piece of wood.
I would definitely try this on a RAMROD, myself, but would leave others to try on a rifle stock.

That striping technique is amazing! I’ve done it with painting stripes with dark stains but the “Foil Rope” looks way better! Thanks for sharing it!!! Cotton

INSANE! Very cool indeed.

PLEASE, if you have not done so already call your insurance agent ASAP and make EXTRA SURE you covered for theft/fire either per a collection or increased guns n such coverage/rider. Not much money and w/o it suicidal and murderous thoughts can hit you simultaneously. Our dear late ZONIE went through that, lost like 7 revolvers?. DO IT.

Have a terrific weekend (the TC is AWESOME!).

Back