• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My antique flintlock needs work

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second the broken sear. It looks short, should usually be long and smooth radius to the point. Yours looks like a step was cut into it to engage
Lol I’m dumb. It’s not even the right sear. It has been replaced. It’s way too small. Where does one begin when trying to find a suitable sear for a 200+ year old antique French flintlock pistol ??

A couple of suggestions.

If you know someone who can write programs for 3D printing, they could do a mirrored image of the correct sear, you could use that 3D print for a mould pattern. Send it to a foundry somewhere to be reproduced.---Final hole drilling and file fitting would be required though.

Or

If you know anyone around your area with a CNC mill, it should be fairly easy to reproduce the sear. If you could have one mirrored closely enough, a good gunsmith could do the final fitting.

Last edited:
Won’t let me upload videos. But basically the hammer is out of alignment with the internals and I’m not sure how to fix this. I thought I was just gonna be able to pull the hammer and put it in the correct way but it’s a square insert so that wasn’t feasible. As you can see, the hammer bottoms out on top of the pan before even hitting the notch in the tumbler

It’s an antique double barrel pistol, so I’m comparing it to the other lock. For reference sake, the faulty locks hammer is in the same position in full cock as the good hammer is in half cock. So it needs to be set back somehow

Thoughts?
In the picture the sear isn't even in the half cock notch and the jaws of the hammer are in the pan. If the sear is in the half cock notch the hammer should be straight up and you should be able to close the frizzen with a flint in the jaws. Seems to me you should take the hammer of and rotate it one flat of the tumbler and re-install it.

Back