Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Meriwether

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
When I see an account that seems hacked, the password is changed and the email changed on the day this new entity takes over. But our servers are set to be very secure, and I'm thinking it must be someway a password is guessed or acquired.

Dude

45 Cal.
Reaction score
So, in Teleoceras' case, his password wouldn't let him in, and then once in, found out he was banned?

So the next thing he had to do was contact an admin to sort it out. Correct?

All this so an imposter could sell some guns and badmouth some members. :dunno:

Teleoceras

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Dude:

So, in Teleoceras' case, his password wouldn't let him in, and then once in, found out he was banned?

So the next thing he had to do was contact an admin to sort it out. Correct?

All this so an imposter could sell some guns and badmouth some members. :dunno:

That is the thing that wierded me out. My password was never changed or any attempt to change my account info as that would have sent a "Is this you?" message to my E-Mail and I would have been alerted immediately. I used my old password two weeks ago and it logged me in as normal to the "You have been banned" message which made my jaw drop. o_O

The only thing I can think of is that they noticed I hadn't been on in two months and did nothing to trigger a response from me. What I don't understand is why I didn't get an alert about the private messages on my E-Mail. That is odd.

SDSmlf

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Dude:

That is the thing that wierded me out. My password was never changed or any attempt to change my account info as that would have sent a "Is this you?" message to my E-Mail and I would have been alerted immediately. I used my old password two weeks ago and it logged me in as normal to the "You have been banned" message which made my jaw drop. o_O

The only thing I can think of is that they noticed I hadn't been on in two months and did nothing to trigger a response from me. What I don't understand is why I didn't get an alert about the private messages on my E-Mail. That is odd.
Were you using the same password for multiple accounts by chance?

Tenring

40 Cal
Reaction score
It seems that hacking and Scamming has become a real Trade like its something to be proud of. Could you imagine you tell the woman your dating when she ask what you do for a living and you tell her you have a Doctrine in Scamming and a Master’s in Swindle/Hacking From Yale…

Reaction score
It seems that hacking and Scamming has become a real Trade like its something to be proud of. Could you imagine you tell the woman your dating when she ask what you do for a living and you tell her you have a Doctrine in Scamming and a Master’s in Swindle/Hacking From Yale…
you mean a law degree? 🤣

Dude

45 Cal.
Reaction score
you mean a law degree? 🤣
Good one! :)

You had me laughing out loud there.

Learn the law so you can utilize the loopholes and get away with garbage like this.

Teleoceras - since your password was compromised, and changed, would you mind letting us know what it was? I'm curious how strong it was. If you're not comfortable with that, could you maybe give us something similar for comparison? I'd like to get an idea what's needed to stay safe. Funny, I'm taking this much more seriously than that recent virus attack.

Dude

45 Cal.
Reaction score
That helps. Thank you.

I've never heard of a two step verification. I'll have to look that up. Ok, just did and see that it's the normal username & password (two steps), or sometimes there's another generated verification step. But the data is that even a two step can be hacked.

Last edited:

kid_couteau

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All

I teach a Cyber Security course and the one thing that almost always comes to the surface is having a great password.
Minimum of 8 characters long with special characters and numbers.

Most of my passwords for important things are 12 characters long.

I know how to generate password lists and I know some of the tricks Black hat Hackers will use. One of the best ways to protect yourself is a long complex password that has nothing to do with your kids names, birthdays, hobbies or work. Second factor authentication helps as well.

Hope this helps
KC

Brokennock

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All

I teach a Cyber Security course and the one thing that almost always comes to the surface is having a great password.
Minimum of 8 characters long with special characters and numbers.

Most of my passwords for important things are 12 characters long.

I know how to generate password lists and I know some of the tricks Black hat Hackers will use. One of the best ways to protect yourself is a long complex password that has nothing to do with your kids names, birthdays, hobbies or work. Second factor authentication helps as well.

Hope this helps
KC
Yup, that will keep folks out of one's accounts,,,, including one's self.
It is accurate advised, but for many of us, impractical. I don't use the same password on multiple sites, but I am guilty of "variations on a theme," as I have just way too many passwords to try to keep track of and some of them are for websites or apps that I rarely use.
I do use a two step where offered, most of the time, where the site or app sends me a code to enter each time I log in.

There has to be a better way to create and use safe passwords that can be remembered.

Reaction score
I buy some things on line connected to the shooting sports, BUT i WILL CONTACT THE VENDOR,SELLER VIA PHONE, If they do not want to talk to you it is a red flag for me and I probally did not need it that bad anyhow,Just yesterday orderd some bullets for a un-mentionable rifle called the vendor and placed the order over the phone, Suggestion perhaps a P.M. to a seller here asking for the phone number and proceeding with the transaction. There is nothing safe on the devils machine now of days. The other thing is I have noticed more frequently a pop up on the screen where they are trying to locate where you are at( who know who it is) go into your settings and put a block on location tracking. Trust no one. Do the research and attempt to protect your self as much as possible.

Tenring

40 Cal
Reaction score
Your so right Kid your password should have nothing to do with family hobbies or anything to even do with WELL ANYTHING this way there is no way to link it to you, It should be totally off the wall that’s what I do because I got tired of being hacked.

Meriwether

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

You can have an 8 or up to a 24 character password. I use this to have a different password for all accounts. And then even change them every so often.
So it's a good password generator.

Meriwether

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I checked with our head tech to see if the PMs being sent was how some accounts were being hacked. Here's what he said about it.

" but stealing accounts is active recently .. hackers use leaked passwords from hacked sites and try to re-use it where username exists "

LME

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I’m very leary in this day and age. I’ve seen and heard too many of very similar situations, makes me nervous, not so much to sell.. but to buy things online.
I feel the same as you about buying on line? I usually find the company on the web then use the companies phone number to call them. I feel this is the safest way? I hope.

Latest posts