• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My 3rd muzzleloader Bull Elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats! That’s an awesome bull! Enjoyed your story. I love Idaho. I hunted Idaho DIY archery 4 of 6 years, last time being in 2010 ( pre kids). Unit 66a. Some of my best hunting memories of my life chasing bugles on those mountains. Now it’s got so popular have to apply in December to get that tag, and within hours of it going on sale.

One of these years I’m going to apply for the unit 66 early muzzleloader. I think odds are about 20-30 percent last time I checked. Have a .54 cal lock Renegade I bought for such an occasion….kids finally getting old enough I need to get back in the Elk game. Thanks for the inspiration.

Howdy,
Just getting round to posting my adventures from November. On the second day of the season I spotted two bulls high up on an open ridge. There was a intermitent fog, so I used that to cover my stalk. While still trying to get within range, the two bulls retreated into some timber. I thought they had caught scent or noticed me, and that they were gone forever. Turns out, they were just finding a place to bed down out of the wind. When I slowly entered into the timber, I was able to get within 30 yards of this bull. First shot clipped shoulder and lung. He stumbled for a distance, but I was able to follow up right behind him. 2nd shot finished him through lungs. He ended up breathing his last, right at the edge of a pretty incredible cliff. This is the third bull taken with Rachel, my .50 cal using patched round ball. Pionner Mountains, Idaho.
View attachment 116908
Great bull

Like others, this is a dream hunt of mine. In my case, it'll probably never become a reality, so I do enjoy reading (and pics!) the stories of those who can.

RE your pin falling out... I have similar issues with my Lyman GPR. I found info somewhere on this forum (don't ask me to find it again!) that I used to alter the pin ever so slightly so that it goes in a little stiffer and doesn't fall out. Basically, I laid the pin across my vice jaws with the jaws open about .3 inches or so, then laid a round bar (in my case, a short extension from my 3/4" ratchet set) perpendicular to the pin. So this bar is now resting on top of the pin, and about centered over the opening in the vice grips. Gently tap the bar with a hammer. You're basically bending the pin ever so slightly so that when you tap it into the barrel, it's stiffer. Go slow so that you don't over do it. Tap, tap.... try it out.... tap, tap...try it out. In my case, the bend is not even noticeable to the eye, but it's just what was needed to stiffen up that pin and keep it from falling out.

A second approach that I also read about was to ping on the U-shaped pin receiver on the barrel itself. I did this on a second barrel for my Lyman (my original barrel was part of the recent recall, so they sent me a new one). This worked just as well, though a little more intimidating for me because if I screwed up the pin, it's easy to replace, but if I over-tapped the barrel receiver, not so much. Still.. it worked just fine, and there's no need for a custom pin.

Well done!

Now I want to hear the rest of the story. We heard the exciting part - what did it take hauling it out?

We get many posts asking if a 50 cal /Hawken will take Elk. You shure answered that.
Great Trophy--you got lucky as far as conditions which allowed you to get closer
than commonly possible. Great skill. That's a lot of meat---fill the freezers. Congrats

Terrific bull! Idaho is a great place to live and hunt. I miss living there to be sure.
I echo Zerosprks comments! Elk I believe are harder to put down than moose. I have no idea having never hunted Elk . Quite an accomplishment though! Well done. I know that some larger animals have been killed with minor calibres- doesn’t mean you should do it though!

Thanks for sharing your successful hunt !
Your the reason we started Idaho's muzzle loading season back in the late 60s with help from wildlife biologist Bob Sherwood of IF&G & fellow members of Eagle Rock Longrifles in Idaho Falls, Idaho.
Chuck T., past pres. of Eagle Rock Longrifles

Thank you all for your kind words and congratulations.

Well done!

Now I want to hear the rest of the story. We heard the exciting part - what did it take hauling it out?

As for the rest of the story: The attached pictures show more of the cliff where he died. I still use an old flip phone with a poor camera, so pictures are not my strong suit, apologies. North of his head is a strait vertical drop. In front, right behind me, was almost vertical. Below his legs was a steep talus slope. His deathbed was not really a safe place to be moving him around or gutting him. I was very worried that he was going to roll away and break those horns to bits. I gently cut the skull cap off with the Wyoming Saw, and then sent him on a little tenderization journey. I then gutted and butchered him at the bottom.

For the past few years I have hunted with an empty pack-frame on my back and a Wyoming Saw on my belt. That way I'm ready to start butchering right away. The first evening I was able to carry out organ's, a few stakes and the antlers. The next day I took two trips carrying a back quarter each trip. The day after that I carried the rest of the meat in two trips. The pack out was a good way back (about 3 miles) but not very steep as I just followed a creek down to my vehicle. I have never killed and elk in a convenient place, however dealing with this bull was not nearly as hard as one cow I got several years ago.

Attachments

• KIMG0206.JPG
    KIMG0206.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 67
  • KIMG0195.JPG
    KIMG0195.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 70
  • KIMG0212.JPG
    KIMG0212.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 74
  • KIMG0200.JPG
    KIMG0200.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 79
Thankfully I have never had pack my elk out of areas such as yours. All my elk were accessible fairly easy, even to the point of vehicle access. Only taken two with muzzleloaders, a .50 fast twist with home cast 370gr maxiball and .54 caplock and .530 rb.
Very nice elk btw. My days are over as cancer progresses.
Walk

Thankfully I have never had pack my elk out of areas such as yours. All my elk were accessible fairly easy, even to the point of vehicle access. Only taken two with muzzleloaders, a .50 fast twist with home cast 370gr maxiball and .54 caplock and .530 rb.
Walk
I am very sorry to read that. I wish you the best.

Walk

I am too very sorry.

Back