• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 2020 elk hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaho Ron

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I drew my first ML bull tag this year. I'm just not the lucky kind I guess it took about 20 years to get it.
Well I went on opening day Oct 1st. I fell and I was sure that I was not going to be finishing the season again all the luck of a run over snake.
But my son Jacob got me out today.

We went to a place I have seen a lot of elk but it is wide open and not much cover. We didn't see anything until 2:00 pm. We drove around a corner and there were two bulls on the side of the hill. They took off running and went into a creek. One bull the biggest one took off across the desert the other stayed in the trees. I got out and followed him into the trees. I found him, but didn't get a shot. Jacob went down the creek and saw him again, and we lost him. We decided that Jacob was going to try to push him out of the trees. We were wondering why this bull didn't follow the other one.
Well Jacob saw him and waved me to go around in front of him. I got to the BLM fence and started to make my way to the bull. Then he came out in the open. He wasn't limping but he wasn't running either.
I decided that something was wrong with him and decided to take him anyway.
This picture he is in the center, Right before I shot.

NfAC13e.jpg

I took a range on him, it was 248 yards. This was a lot farther than I normally shoot at game with the first shot but knowing that something wasn't right I decided to go for it. I set the sight and held for a high shoulder shot.
At the shot the bull folded right there.
Jacob was watching and he said he saw the bulls legs pull up and down he went. Then he heard the shot.

9vnXahU.jpg

We went to work getting him quartered to pack. I did the cutting and Jacob did the hauling.

fvBY1MP.jpg

The only load I carried was the head. He is a great young man.

zDMcLFH.jpg

We found the bullet. It had broken the shoulder and took out the spine. Jacob found it as he picked up the shoulder and it landed on his boot.

F49Xp2Y.jpg

DOcfBjT.jpg

HF5Jzcv.jpg

The bullet lost only 4 grains. I was impressed with that.
Rifle-- TC Hot Rod Renegade 50
bullet-- 458 gr paper patched lee 500 S&W bullet I make my self sized for my gun
Powder-- 80 gr of Pyrodex P with an over powder wad.

The bull had scratches on the inside of his hind legs. It appeared he had been in a fight with a lion at some point. All the meat was good and everything was fine.

In my Lyman GPH .50 I use a self cast 370gr Maxi over 90gr Pyrodex P. It shoots very well but I don’t have the skills that yourself or Idaho Lewis have with them rifles. Very nice shot and well done sir!
Walk

Outstanding. Great shot and nice bull. Should feed you this winter. Do you have any photos of the shooting sticks laying on the bull which I assume you used for the shot. I need some for my Sharps instead of a model BogPod.
Mike

Well done. Nothing like a hunt and an adventure with your son. Also great to have a young pair of legs.

Fleener

Outstanding. Great shot and nice bull. Should feed you this winter. Do you have any photos of the shooting sticks laying on the bull which I assume you used for the shot. I need some for my Sharps instead of a model BogPod.
Mike

The shooting sticks that I make are different than most. I make them out of dowel. I drill the ends and use arrow inserts and rubber arrow tips or the steel field points depending on how I amusing them. I added some Mole skin to keep them quiet

Pfs5L6g.jpg

nnUQldW.jpg

Then I drill the top of the sticks. I add sling swivels and a leather strap the swivels are epoxied in. I gave it some mole skin again to keep them quiet and for better grip.

9xBnXSE.jpg

QVWDVz4.jpg

9vTjRjS.jpg

The rifle rests on the leather. I don't like the rifle sitting on a hard spot to shoot from. I feel that the leather allows the rifle to recoil without outside input from the rest. Every shot is the same. I tested this with my air rifle. It is hold sensitive and the leather allows it to do its thing the same way every time.

When they are deployed I can adjust the height by leaning them back. I have three different sizes to choose from. Short for bench rest, medium for sitting on the ground, and tall for sitting in a blind or on my knees.

pz7qU35.jpg

MEOXp00.jpg

1sPaNt6.jpg

Here is a video I made on them.

Congratulations on a fine bull elk. Paper patch bullet preformed flawlessly.

It did. I have only found two of these bullets and both were on elk. The first one crushed the shoulder and was found in the hip. Then this one. I am super happy with how this bullet held up with the about of bone that it encountered.

Back