• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My 12 yr old granddaughters first time shooting at our club shoot.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Walker

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Yesterday my 12 year old granddaughter was so excited, as she was looking forward to our monthly club shoot at the Flathead Valley Muzzleloader monthly shoot. I would get her set up showing her powder, patch and ball with 30 gr of FFg then ramrod run to compact and after it was capped I had to set the trigger for her. Because of the weight of the Lyman Great Plains Rifle .54 cal I had her use my trek pod (a photographer hiking mono pod) with a yoke on top. Even with the cold weather she hit our turkey targets 6 out of 6 times after taking careful aim. Boy howdy, I couldn't chisel that grin off of her face if I would have tried... after the 6th time shooting, she was asking for the fire pit area to warm up and thaw her feet/toes, yep it was that cold.

So we walked the 50 or so yards back to the fire pit where other in the club soon joined us around the nice warm fire. She asked when the next shoot was, and added I can see why you do this Poppi it's so fun. She's hooked now!

Attachments

• Sophia Shooting a muzzleloader for the first time.mp4
    1.1 MB
  • Sophia Dyer.jpg
    Sophia Dyer.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 3
Yesterday my 12 year old granddaughter was so excited, as she was looking forward to our monthly club shoot at the Flathead Valley Muzzleloader monthly shoot. I would get her set up showing her powder, patch and ball with 30 gr of FFg then ramrod run to compact and after it was capped I had to set the trigger for her. Because of the weight of the Lyman Great Plains Rifle .54 cal I had her use my trek pod (a photographer hiking mono pod) with a yoke on top. Even with the cold weather she hit our turkey targets 6 out of 6 times after taking careful aim. Boy howdy, I couldn't chisel that grin off of her face if I would have tried... after the 6th time shooting, she was asking for the fire pit area to warm up and thaw her feet/toes, yep it was that cold.

So we walked the 50 or so yards back to the fire pit where other in the club soon joined us around the nice warm fire. She asked when the next shoot was, and added I can see why you do this Poppi it's so fun. She's hooked now!
So precious to have a granddaughter interested in grandpa's hobby. She has ear protection, but please don't forget those precious eyes.

Larry

Great! I love her capote ... wild colors ... just right for a pretty little buckskinner ... and she can shoot! Sign her up! Polecat

Good show 👏. Keep encouraging her and making it fun.

My only suggestion is get her a gun suited to her size.
Yes, first I wanted to make sure that it was a hit with her, and one of the guy's in the club has a 36 cal flintlock that we'll be looking at the next shoot. If she doesn't like the flintlock, I'll find her a caplock in a smaller cal than my .54 which is way to heavy for her.

That's great and she sure looks happy! I have an 8-year-old granddaughter who shot my SMR a few weeks ago, It was her first time shooting a flintlock, but she has been shooting her 22 rifle since she was six.

Back