• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading's Impact on Health

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main difference I see between folks who are getting into the sport today and those of us who started decades ago is that today people seem to worry about every little thing. Maybe it's too much time spent on this newfangled social media. Maybe it's all the govt. propaganda. Maybe I'm different since I grew up reading Mad Magazine. "What, me worry?"

A have some questions that I don't see were previously discussed. If you're a medical professional please state so in your reply, but I welcome opinions of anyone.

1) Is the "report" or sound from a muzzleloader more or less damaging to hearing than the cartridge counterpart type arm? I use earplugs or a headset (or both) so does that make a difference in what effect the muzzleloader compared to conventional arm has on hearing if some protection is used?

2) If the smoke is inadvertently ingested or inhaled are there potential symptoms, side effects or risks. If so, are there any remedies for immediate implementation or after-care?

3) How about eyes? I wear eye protection at the range but admit to only using it sometimes while hunting. Regardless, the smoke can get in your eyes or the person with you nearby. Is there any risks and treatments that should be known when a large amount of smoke gets in the eye(s)?

4) It has been said that the recoil of a muzzleloading rifle or smoothbore is "different" than a conventional counterpart. Based on the physics of the recoil is there any more or less potential risk to organs, skeleto-muscular structure or body systems with ML compared to a conventional cartridge firing counterpart? I realized loads and calibers are different so I am asking in general or in comparison to some reference.

Thanks
We often hear others say "there is no such thing as a stupid question".
I never agreed with that point of view.

We often hear others say "there is no such thing as a stupid question".
I never agreed with that point of view.

The trouble is that what we have here is not a stupid question. It’s just not the right question. It seems reasonable to assume that the OP is a reasonable adult. Most people are capable of assessing risk for themselves, and the OP is no exception. We can go on all day about hearing protection, eye protection, and taking some reasonable precautions when handling lead. The OP already KNOWS this. He’s not so much looking for an answer, it seems, as looking to confirm his concerns. The answer to this question, medical professional or not, is simple. Be a reasonable adult, assess the possible consequences for yourself, and make a carefully considered decision as to whether you should proceed. The information has been around for years, it’s up to each of us to decide what to do with it.
Please note that I mean absolutely no disrespect or sarcasm with this reply, I’m only suggesting that everyone has to make their own decisions, and do so based on their own assessment of possible consequences and their own willingness to assume them.

A have some questions that I don't see were previously discussed. If you're a medical professional please state so in your reply, but I welcome opinions of anyone.

1) Is the "report" or sound from a muzzleloader more or less damaging to hearing than the cartridge counterpart type arm? I use earplugs or a headset (or both) so does that make a difference in what effect the muzzleloader compared to conventional arm has on hearing if some protection is used?

2) If the smoke is inadvertently ingested or inhaled are there potential symptoms, side effects or risks. If so, are there any remedies for immediate implementation or after-care?

3) How about eyes? I wear eye protection at the range but admit to only using it sometimes while hunting. Regardless, the smoke can get in your eyes or the person with you nearby. Is there any risks and treatments that should be known when a large amount of smoke gets in the eye(s)?

4) It has been said that the recoil of a muzzleloading rifle or smoothbore is "different" than a conventional counterpart. Based on the physics of the recoil is there any more or less potential risk to organs, skeleto-muscular structure or body systems with ML compared to a conventional cartridge firing counterpart? I realized loads and calibers are different so I am asking in general or in comparison to some reference.

Thanks
IMHO, if muzzleloading makes you feel good overall, Enjoy it!! If you want to worry about all the extra nonsense, quit shooting.

Hearing damage is cumulative. Both muzzleloaders and modern guns will damage your hearing over time if you don't protect yourself. Wear good hearing protection (muffs).
Because the damage is cumulative, the younger you are the more at risk you are as you get older. If you are already 90 years old you may never notice the affect from a shot fired today.

Protect your hearing, there is a strong association between hearing loss and memory loss.

As for comparing modern guns to muzzleloaders, it's an apple to oranges comparison. Some muzzleloaders are worse than some modern guns and some modern guns are way worse than muzzleloaders. But If i had to choose I'd say modern guns are typically worse, but muzzleloader are not a safer alterantive to good hearing protection.

To be clear, I am not asking for my own sake. I'm also not asking about physical prevention like ear-plugs and eye protection. I am preparing to answer other peoples questions. All of these have come up in conversation somewhat recently at different times. Instead of being a smart alleck or seeming not to care I thought I'd get the information for a genuine factual response. I am the only one I have ever seen at my local club with a muzzleloader and there are a lot more members that have recently joined. Some are brand new to shooting in general and completely clueless about ML's. Others have what may be a new-found concern for health affects. Likely the current Administration, the "pandemic" and some false narratives are fueling the new shooters and the new concerns. So, I personally am not worried and I don't stay up at night pondering if shooting my flintlock might be detrimental. I welcome and appreciate any input, but some of the replies to this post if used in response to someone's legit question along these lines would not be helpful while others at least make sense.

1) I have incredibly sensitive hearing, and I wear your standard ear ******* with headphones on over them. 5.56 rifles make my ears ring still. I fire my blunderbuss and have fired a long rifle with only ear ******* or headphones, and it doesn't seem to have any ringing effect.

One factor not often considered is that Muzzleloader operating pressures max out about where Modern rifles begin.
Muzzleloaders 0-20,000 psi
Modern rifles 20,000 - 55,000 psi.

That makes for more intense shock waves.

I'll take a whack at this, not a doctor and actually quite new to ML hobby.

1) I have incredibly sensitive hearing, and I wear your standard ear ******* with headphones on over them. 5.56 rifles make my ears ring still. I fire my blunderbuss and have fired a long rifle with only ear ******* or headphones, and it doesn't seem to have any ringing effect.

2) Smoke from a black powder rifle would probably be the same as smoke ingested from any fire, and probably 1:1 from inhaling smoke from the 4th of july when all those fireworks are going off. Its not good for you, don't be huffing it out of the air like a weirdo. That being said it typically isn't blowing into my face and I don't get a lot of it in my lungs. Basically treat it as you would any other smoke.

3) Eye protection is highly recommended because flint does break off tiny pieces. Some locks eat up flints quickly and spray shards. Others barely anything. The fireball flash and everything else is fine and won't hurt your eyes. The only thing is the bits of rock that can fly off. If someone is standing to your right they will probably feel something. I've never been hit in the face with rocks, but I've only been doing this for a few months and I've heard some people feel grit hit their forehead or whatever. Its mainly a non issue but still highly recommend it. Smoke in eyes would be non issue, your eyes are good at catching and filtering that stuff out into tears that you wipe or blink away.

4) Recoil is absolutely nothing compared to equivalent arms. I fire a .69 round ball and is significantly less impactful than a 8mm mauser rifle I fire often. The 8mm can actually bruise me. I let me 95lb sister in law fire the blunderbuss even with horrible firing posture because I knew it wouldn't be enough to hurt her. Unlike modern guns that are snapping and punching your shoulder while launching projectiles, the recoil is more like hanging onto a tube as a combustion happens and pushes your ball out the other end, and its still recoil but it feels more gradual (Within a fraction of a second).

PS EDIT: Make sure to wash your hands after handling all the material like lead balls and powder. Try your best not to touch your mouth and eyes after touching lead. Don't be one of those guys that put the lead ball in your mouth and you should be fine lol.
I'm pretty sensitive of my hearing, and I'm scared of toxic stuff, but most of the stuff in Black powder is pretty safe. Lead is the biggest thing and I just make sure to wash your hands before doing anything else.
Oh great, now ya tell me I shouldn't be chewing lead. Next thing ya know you'll be telling me I shouldn't be ingesting mercury.

My hearing has taken more abuse from operating tractors and the common rotary lawn mower than from my muzzle loaders. I always use ear plugs and muffs for those activities . Still have tinnitus.
Exposure to harmful air quality is a fact of modern existence more than black powder smoke.
Lead is only harmful if your exposed like we all used to be when gasoline was leaded. Care in handling offers the best protection from any harmful material.
Time is too short for me at 74 to dwell on the minimal effects of my muzzle loader use. I feel better after every session with my FDC smoothbore challenge!!!
LBL

Thanks
It’s the soul afraid of dying that never learns to live

It’s the soul afraid of dying that never learns to live

Bingo! This here sums it up well. Personally I don't go around worrying excessively about all these things in life. Its fun and it's a great sport. Take common sense precautions and enjoy life.

By far the most dangerous thing we all do daily is drive or ride in a car on the highways. THAT is far more likely to maim or kill you than any other routine 99% of us engage in. We all do it understanding the risk and carry on with life.

To be clear, I am not asking for my own sake. I'm also not asking about physical prevention like ear-plugs and eye protection. I am preparing to answer other peoples questions. All of these have come up in conversation somewhat recently at different times. Instead of being a smart alleck or seeming not to care I thought I'd get the information for a genuine factual response. I am the only one I have ever seen at my local club with a muzzleloader and there are a lot more members that have recently joined. Some are brand new to shooting in general and completely clueless about ML's. Others have what may be a new-found concern for health affects. Likely the current Administration, the "pandemic" and some false narratives are fueling the new shooters and the new concerns. So, I personally am not worried and I don't stay up at night pondering if shooting my flintlock might be detrimental. I welcome and appreciate any input, but some of the replies to this post if used in response to someone's legit question along these lines would not be helpful while others at least make sense.

Fair enough. As far as health issues go, I think it is reasonable to compare them to modern firearms. Both are shooting lead projectiles. Flintlocks have no primer, so that is a health benefit. From what I can tell, both percussion caps and modern primers are based on lead styphenate, which you would not want to ingest much of. So caplocks are about even with moderns for primer/cap hazards. What is in the smoke from a muzzleloader? That I do not know. I'd have to guess probably a bunch of different compounds. If you can track down a chemist who has looked into this, perhaps they can tell you. As long as you are shooting outdoors and not deliberately inhaling smoke (generally a bad idea regardless of the source of the smoke), the health risks should be negligible. As far as all the rest, both types are firearms so all the usual safety, etc. rules apply.

The only thing I have seen happen in a risky way with a muzzleloader that I have not seen with a modern is having the grass in front of the muzzleloader catch fire after a shot. A bucket of water put paid to that.

I've only one thing to add to this - the RCO in the original post needs to get his sorry a** over to Friendship sometime, and see what all that 'unhealthy smoke and noise' has done to a couple of thousand muzzleloaders over the years they've been attending.

Here in UK, in spite of the many facets of the sport here that cause so much scorn among our American brethren, OUR NRA runs a very good black powder only range management and safety course for would-be RCOs who can be expected to deal with BP shooters. I'm sure that NMLA does the same in the USA, if he could get off his butt and go looking.

Then, friends, he wouldn't have gotten our friend here to ask so many odd questions that could readily be answered inside of ten minutes on a range full of BP shooters.

That's me done.

Back