• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloading very fine powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunbeam

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi,

6 Months ago I was new to BP muzzleloading with cannon, rifle and pistol. I bought my first bottle of Swiss 3FG and have been shooting it for a few months, up to 70 grains at a time.

Only today when I actually got the bottle out had had a good look at the label so I could describe the label to the shop over the phone, did I see it's actually 4FG !!!!!!!! :-0

Nothing bad has ever happened and everything feels perfectly OK, so I assume on damage or stress to the weapons, but what will I notice when I fire them next time on the correct 3FG? All 50 cal and under.

This is a newbie issue, next time I'll not trust the shop to give me what I ask for !!

Thanks.

You will may experience a couple of things. Your firearm may prefer a slightly different amount of powder for best accuracy, the experienced recoil may be a little less and possible the coarser powder may leave the barrel a little dirtier. I suspect beyond that there will not be much difference.

That's really good to know as I always thought the FFFFG Swiss 1 was pan powder only and a very bad idea in anything else.

I have had a crash coarse in powder today and had to re-understand everything I thought about Black Powder. Being a newbie is hard !

Sun, Ive been shooting since I was 9 years old but only 3 year of that with black powder and these fine folks, I'm still a noobie.
Kansas and Bass pretty much got the basics for ya. Keep learnin and keep shootin and teach the younguns.

That's really good to know as I always thought the FFFFG Swiss 1 was pan powder only and a very bad idea in anything else.

I have had a crash coarse in powder today and had to re-understand everything I thought about Black Powder. Being a newbie is hard !

In Europe 4F is meant for handguns as this older model shows. During the Civil War the Hazards powder company made Pistol Powder paper cartridges for the government and it was found to be 4F granulation and as powerful as Swiss, and those cartridges (.44 cal) held 36 grns with a 211 grn conical IIRC. And a museum curator here has mentioned taking apart many late 1800’s metallic cartridges, including large caliber, that used 4F and finer powders.

Epic reply and that No.1 is exactly what I have with a No.2 on order :)
Thank you.

it's actually 4FG !!!!!!!! :-0
So, it’s still blackpowder. For reference, take a look at the Lyman Black Powder Handbook first published in 1974 or so. The pre internet expert era. Plenty of ffff loads for pistols in 31, 36, 44 and 45 calibers published by Lyman. Realistically, as long as you don’t go crazy with heavy charges and/or projectiles, you won’t have problems. The real danger comes from things like barrel obstructions and bullets off the powder charge (think short starting).

Opened up a Smith Carbine ‘cartridge’ (figure 1860s vintage) and discovered powder finer than what we call ffff today. Guess they didn’t know any better. Lost photographs of powder with Photobucket, and don’t intend to take anymore apart.
upload_2020-1-20_14-24-49.jpeg

Back