• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Shotgun Identification Assistance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garybaratta

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello! I purchased a (wall hanger) muzzleloading, octagon barrel, side by side, percussion shotgun today at the flea market in Istanbul Turkey. I've attached some links/pix of the hallmarks and the engraving. Any information/identification/year would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day!

Thanks,

-gary

What I can tell you is that it has Belgian proof marks, Liege.

Although it does have some engraving of a sort, it looks as if it was made for a colonial market. That would fit with finding it in Istambul, and quite a lot of colonial guns were made in Belgium, including past the decline of muzzleloading in Europe and North America.

Thanks GreenMt for putting me on the right track. After further research I’ve discovered the following. The JD mark is for Jean Duchateau, a gun maker (1908-1964) in Liege that made everything from the finest firearms to knock about field grade. Sold under many names.

The 18.4 mm mark is for roughly 12 gauge.

L with star above is for Controller of Proof Codes Salmon Antoine who served from 1937 to 1968.

There is an actual Belgian year mark that looks like a “u” with a moon above it but I can’t match it to any of the script letters used during the period.

From what I’ve read, the Belgian gun makers didn’t retool for external hammers after WWII, if that is true the date is somewhere between 1937 and the end of the war, maybe. On the other hand they may have had many parts left from prior years and used them up for trade guns, or other, maybe?

Any thoughts from members of the forum? Concur, non-concur? Other?

-gary

bpd303

Here are more photos as requested ....

When we got home and I had the opportunity to unwrap this vintage gem, I gently ran the ramrod down the barrel ”¦ you know what’s coming ”¦ it stopped far short of the end in both barrels. I won’t go into all the details of cleaning barrels with only a ramrod/patch puller, how long it took to pull the patches that had adhered themselves to the barrel over many many years ”¦ with this vintage patch puller, but in the end, it turned out both barrels were fully loaded.

The left barrel was loaded with shot that varied between triple B (BBB) to No. 4, the right barrel was loaded with similar shot but half the load with a 44. Cal ball. See pix.

You know you hear about these things happening but you never seem to know anyone it happens to, well now I know someone it happened to ”¦ me.

Thanks for your help.

I am still,

-gary
In Istanbul

By standing some distance back from my screen, the "nail hole" markings on the grip spell "ZEKERIYA".

Interesting experience with the still-loaded barrels. Any idea what the loads would have been used against?

Judging by the inletting and the finish/condition, it appears the gun was well on the "field grade" end of the spectrum. And, judging from appearance, not that well cared for, so "wallhanger" is probably the right decision (although, if the barrels are not badly corroded, it should still be shootable?) Hard to tell without actually seeing the gun.

Richard/Grumpa

"ZEKERIYA" is correct. There is a similar inscription on the the other side, which in Turkish reads "do not go" It's a puzzler.

gary_b said:
"ZEKERIYA" is correct. There is a similar inscription on the the other side, which in Turkish reads "do not go" It's a puzzler.

Probably completely unrelated, but...

"Zekeriyaköy takes its name from the tomb of Zekeriya Baba, which is located behind the historical mosque of the village."

https://goo.gl/maps/amTyB8qeapz

Latest posts

Back