• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloading savvy gunsmith

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is if you have a drill press, the proper sized drill bit, the odd ball tap and know how to pull a breech plug. If you haven't done any gun work of any kind before I would farm the job out.

I have done a bunch of these installations but still screwed up on my last one, I was drilling my pilot hole first to make sure my liner would be exactly where I wanted it to be. I didn't feel my drill bit break through into the breech so I kept going, the next thing I knew I had drilled all the way out the other side of the barrel.

Concerned, I asked here how much pressure a threaded a 10/32 screw could handle. Zonie here did the math and said it would be 10 times the pressure that I would generate shooting the rifle. I tapped the hole to 10/32 and inserted a screw with red lock-tite to hold it into place and finished the gun.

I figured if TC can get away with the same type of all the way thorough hole in their breeches I could to.

Last edited:
The breech plug may interfere the drilling of the tap hole for the White Lightning liner. Once the original touch hole is removed, it can be determined if the drilling of the tap hole would hit the breech plug. Track of the Wolf sells the kit with the liner, specific tap drill and compatible tap to install the liner. Be sure that @acavdragoon is ordering the White Lightning kit as there are similar kits out there. Might want to have a 1/16" drill to open the touch hole as the White LIghtning touch hole is undersized for most applications.

At first, I would install the liner and use a diamond bit to trim the excess that protruded into the barrel, with my last few I would screw the liner in, mark the excess with a sharpie, take it back out and grind off the excess on a bench grinder and reinstall.

At first, I would install the liner and use a diamond bit to trim the excess that protruded into the barrel, with my last few I would screw the liner in, mark the excess with a sharpie, take it back out and grind off the excess on a bench grinder and reinstall.

@Eric Krewson
When doing this do you grind it in a way that it matches the inside contour of the barrel?

It is if you have a drill press, the proper sized drill bit, the odd ball tap and know how to pull a breech plug. If you haven't done any gun work of any kind before I would farm the job out.

I have done a bunch of these installations but still screwed up on my last one, I was drilling my pilot hole first to make sure my liner would be exactly where I wanted it to be. I didn't feel my drill bit break through into the breech so I kept going, the next thing I knew I had drilled all the way out the other side of the barrel.

Concerned, I asked here how much pressure a threaded a 10/32 screw could handle. Zonie here did the math and said it would be 10 times the pressure that I would generate shooting the rifle. I tapped the hole to 10/32 and inserted a screw with red lock-tite to hold it into place and finished the gun.

I figured if TC can get away with the same type of all the way thorough hole in their breeches I could to.
Eric, it is a paradox, but this admission on your part makes all of your advice far more credible to so many people. To err is human... Humility, a sense of humor, asking others and finding solutions impress. Good to see someone helping others this way. Nothing like looking at a workpiece gone wrong and thinking in profanities, "now what ?". SW

The way I install the touch hole liner, ( and not removing the breech plug) is by, after carefully locating, drilling and tapping the hole, to first screw the liner all the way in. It will protrude into the bore, so I take it out and start carefully start removing the protrusion by holding the liner flat on a piece of 220 grit sandpaper and stroking it back and forth to remove excess liner. Then reinstall and run a tight cleaning patch down. You can tell if it gets caught on any of the protruding liner. It takes a bit if time but only remove enough metal until the cleaning patch slides freely over the touch hole liner when it’s tightly screwed in. Then I file the outside flush.

No, I cut it back just a little, I did contour the early ones, there is no way to do it neatly without scratching the bore some.

I goofed up on this one and drilled all the way through with my pilot hole, the touch hole is on the right, the plugged 11/32 hole in on the left.

Haines butches 1.jpg

Back