• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Rifle for a Lady

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, guys and gals. My wife retired last February and I find her sitting around watching TV after she is through with house work. She is a country gal raised in Iowa and has enjoyed shooting in the past mostly pistols, shotguns and .22 rifles. I have built a 100 yard range on our property and have gotten back into traditional muzzleloading. I would like to get her to join me target shooting for fun. She doesn't care to hunt but goes with me on my hunting adventures. I need a recommendation for a rifle for her. I don't want to spend a lot of money in case she doesn't like it. The problem is that she is 4' 10" and left handed so recoil and length of pull could be a problem for her. I am thinking nothing bigger than .40 caliber. What are you all's thoughts?

Thanks

Okay, guys and gals. My wife retired last February and I find her sitting around watching TV after she is through with house work. She is a country gal raised in Iowa and has enjoyed shooting in the past mostly pistols, shotguns and .22 rifles. I have built a 100 yard range on our property and have gotten back into traditional muzzleloading. I would like to get her to join me target shooting for fun. She doesn't care to hunt but goes with me on my hunting adventures. I need a recommendation for a rifle for her. I don't want to spend a lot of money in case she doesn't like it. The problem is that she is 4' 10" and left handed so recoil and length of pull could be a problem for her. I am thinking nothing bigger than .40 caliber. What are you all's thoughts?

Thanks
Minimum 45 cause it's obtainable ,recoil depends on charge (minimal) and so much easier to find supplies for ! And not for nothing it will be lighter than the ( .40 smaller bore /thicker barrel ) and more likely legal for big game (just in case) she gets the urge to fill the freezer !/Ed

The Crockett .32 rifle I have is great at about 6 1/2 lbs. Very accurate. And a pretty little gun. Don't know how available they are now. I got mine in October and am glad I did. Otherwise, for mostly plinking/target, why not a small/medium size pistol -- either single or a revolver?

Look at a Traditions Kentucky rifle with a percussion lock. It is based on the old CVA Pennsylvania rifle, if I'm not mistaken. The rifle is light and the length of pull to the trigger is shorter than many other rifles. I use a CVA Penna rifle when introducing women to muzzleloading firearms. Weight is seven pounds.
To save cost, buy the kit and put it together yourself or just buy a finished rifle. Midway USA has them on sale right now.
Just went back and read the OP. Traditions rifle is .50 calibre.

Last edited:
A .50 loaded with light to moderate charge will be easy enough for her to shoot. I'd be more concerned with LOP and rifle weight more than the caliber.

If 10 year old kids can handle a .50 I am sure your diminutive better half can handle it just fine.

Now a Bobcat would likely be great for size, but it is too light in my estimation. I put a pound of lead in the hollow butt when I shoot that rifle. Just take the butt cap off and load it with some weight and some cloth to keep the weight from jumping around.

I have provided TC Senecas to a couple of diminutive women. Good, reliable rifles, several calibres to be found, I have had .36 and .45; both shoot well, and the .45 is a bit lighter, but the guns are so short, it doesn't make much difference. I am sure that somebody makes a similar kit these days; the originals are geting scarce and expensive.

Thanks
Does anyone shoot a right handed percussion or flintlock left handed? This may be an option if left handed rifles are hard to find.

Last edited:
Does anyone shoot a right handed percussion of flintlock left handed? This may be an option if left handed rifles are hard to find.
I'm left-handed and only shoot right-handed percussion muzzleloaders. It makes no difference to me whatsoever. Now, with a flintlock I would want a lefty. That's why I'm holding off on getting a flint gun because for a lefty they're hard to find at a decent price.

I shoot right handed rifles lefty all the time. I shoot percussion mostly but have shot flint and it doesn't bother me at all. Us leftys have been overcoming discrimination all our lives.🙂

I am right handed, shoot right hand but one of my favorite flintlocks is a NW Trade gun that's a left hand lock. I've never had any trouble shooting it. A rifle might be different of course due to having a "cheek" where as my smoothbore Trade gun is just has a slab sided butt stock.

If the gun fits properly, she can shoot pretty much any caliber she likes. I build one for a lady, with a 11 1/4" pull. It works very well for her. I had a tough time sighting that one in, as my nose was nearly at the front sight to be able to shoot it from the bench.

If the gun fits properly, she can shoot pretty much any caliber she likes. I build one for a lady, with a 11 1/4" pull. It works very well for her. I had a tough time sighting that one in, as my nose was nearly at the front sight to be able to shoot it from the bench.

I just purchased a used TC Renegade in left hand .50 caliber percussion. I doubt it will fit her but she can shoot it with reduced loads to see if she likes it. If she can't handle the weight, I will find her something in a .36 caliber custom rifle or a kit gun like has been mentioned on this thread. All good ideas. I will also let her shoot my right hand Lyman GPR .50 caliber in percussion. If the lock being on the right side doesn't bother her, then problem solved.

The problem is that she is 4' 10" and left handed so recoil and length of pull could be a problem for her.
My wife:
- 59"
- 88 pounds.
- 72 years old.
She have buy this Pedersoli 32 cal. in January and no probleme except that she must shoots on a bench (barrel length) :
Kentucky-calibre.32.jpg

I just purchased a used TC Renegade in left hand .50 caliber percussion. I doubt it will fit her but she can shoot it with reduced loads to see if she likes it. If she can't handle the weight, I will find her something in a .36 caliber custom rifle or a kit gun like has been mentioned on this thread. All good ideas. I will also let her shoot my right hand Lyman GPR .50 caliber in percussion. If the lock being on the right side doesn't bother her, then problem solved.
Shorten it up to fit her, and if too heavy, cut back the barrel. Nothing turns a new shooter off like a gun they have to reach to shoot

Latest posts

Back