• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Newcomers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
All I can say after seeing all these new member introductions on this forum, day after day, week after week, is that there must be a veritable WAVE of newcomers to the muzzleloading world! Will all of our clubs and organizations now be flooded with people buying caplocks and flintlocks, black powder, and accessories? This is good news!

We do seem to have a bunch of newcomers and I delighted. Maybe soon the students will become the teachers.

Joined 13th December 2022. Over 20 responses respectfully contributed; hope I don't disappear on you 64Springer ... :);)

Kindest regards, Pete
Obviously my comment doesn't pertain to everyone.

There's just a pattern of people joining, asking questions about what they have, asking about value, then disappearing to list their items for sale elsewhere.

Obviously my comment doesn't pertain to everyone.

There's just a pattern of people joining, asking questions about what they have, asking about value, then disappearing to list their items for sale elsewhere.
Not cool when folks join just to assess value of something and then leave.

I’m new here and I can say it is hard for some to stay due to not being thick skinned. Some of the long time members here are not very welcoming. I joined as a paying member and was sorry I did until I figured out the ignore feature. Now the forum is more to my liking. I’m here to laugh maybe get to know a few people, learn a bit and share a bit. After all none of us are as smart as all of us.

After all none of us are as smart as all of us
There is some truth to this,,, but also some deception woven in (not intentionally on your part) with this theory. Because there is also some dilution within the group. All of us would be exponentially smarter than any one of us if it weren't for individuals who operate on a basis of conjecture and their own "reasoning" even in the face of facts or evidence contrary to their conjecture or reasoning. There are many who seem insistent on perpetuating muzzleloading myths amd legends regardless of evidence or new discovery.
Then when someone argues with these individuals, someone gets better hurt and leaves or starts sticking people in the ignore box.
This doesn't help the group's overall combined knowledge.

They're all asking questions. Being spoon fed. Then they disappear. Then they don't return. And they definitely don't contribute.
The bigger issue as I see it isn't that they get spoon fed, or that they disappear, it's that too many (especially the ones who just come to try to sell stuff or gain info to sell stuff elsewhere, but let'sleave them out of this) show up on the radar too soon. They don't read, they don't go back to older posts, or more importantly older/past member's posts, and digest what info is already here. They just jump in and ask questions that have been answered many times already. Or, they find some 2 to 10 year old post and respond to it, at worst with an answer to a question, or at best with a question about what they read. They could start a new post and refer to the old one.

Some of our greatest fountains of knowledge are gone, either passed on or left the forum for various reasons. Old posts have value, but doesn't mean they are infallible, remember the myth thing. At least one left the forum unhappy with the way things have become, and changed his screen name when he did making his very valuable information hard to search.

New folks, welcome, we do want you here. Yes, we argue, yes you may need a thick skin at times. Go back and read through things. If a reply quotes another posts read that full quote and if it quotes another topic, read that too. If you have something to contribute, fantastic, but be prepared to be questioned on it, especially if it is historical knowledge be prepared to be asked for documentation or evidence. A lot of folks seem to take be asked to prove something or support something as being challenged personally, sometimes we ask for that support info for our own learning.
Most of us want the new folks here and we want the sport and the forum to grow, or at least continue. But, no one has been waiting years for your answer to the question they posted in 2005. And we don't need 5 or 6 more topics per year on Dawn dish soap, the danger of static (this myth really needs to be killed and buried), stuck balls, stuck jags, or short starters (unless new reall info comes available). 😉

They're all asking questions. Being spoon fed. Then they disappear. Then they don't return. And they definitely don't contribute.

And that's the attitude that will drive off the new guys. A new guy is starting from ground zero and don't have the depth of knowledge of an old timer. Not helping the new guys will only serve to confirm attitudes of many outsiders that the muzzleloading guys are a bunch of crusty old curmudgeons.

I say welcome, ask away, we'll help however possible.

I've been on a number of forums for years and still can't understand why anybody gets upset because someone asks a question that they feel has already been previously asked and answered.

When I read a thread title if I'm not interested in the topic I simply scroll on by. How difficult is that?

I'm a member on a few firearms forums, in my opinion this one is the best of those I have experience with.

There have been a few times I've seen whoever post something about whatever and I kinda go: "Was that really necessary?"

Are there subjects that keep getting brought up instead of someone just doing a search? Of course there are - and there always will be.

Are there posts that non-moderator folks feel the need to moderate? Of course there are - and always will be.

But:

Are there folks who offer great info from personal experience? Absolutely!

Are there folks who help with components when another shooter can't find any? Absolutely!

Are there folks who are willing to ship items bought on the classifieds before payment has arrived and are just 'meeting' the buyer? Absolutely!

YMMV

Back