• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Myths

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you have the process reversed in your mind.

The granulation process is such that the smaller grains and dust falls out first. The larger grains are what is left as the powder is passed over mesh of smaller size - the FF sized grains you reference pass over the smaller mesh size holes that the smaller particles pass through.

The dust / extremely small particles can be collected, moistened (liquored) and re-pressed into mill cake and re-processed through the granulation mill along with the very large 'chucks' that would not pass through the size of mesh screen being used to obtain the desired grain size.

Some of the 'dust' would be used for filling explosive shells or for making fuses.

After the powder has been granulated to the desired size it is in a rough and fractured state as yet unsuitable for use, and referred to as 'Foul Grain' and is coated in dust that would increase the powder's absorption of moisture and contribute to degradation of the powder if not processed further. Foul grain also will not pour smoothly as the rough edges catch and hang up with the other grains. The foul grain moves on to a first 'dusting' process and then to the glazing process where the powder is tumbled / polished to get rid of the coarse or jagged edges so that the powder flows more easily when measured. After glazing, the powder is subjected to a second dusting process. Then a drying process occurs and then a third, or 'finishing', dusting before it is ready to be used as small arms gunpowder.

Regarding another 'myth' - The lower case 'g' refers to powder which has been glazed (polished) and does not indicate powder which has been mixed with graphite. Swiss powder is heavily graphited, which is why the grains are so shiny and silvery in appearance. Graphite is an impurity in gunpowder, and raises the ignition temperature / slows ignition, which in some applications is desirable. Graphite was also used in years past to improve the appearance of inferior quality gunpowder
Excellent account very clear.
Regards Rudyard

I've never seen black powder production, but I did work in a plant where we screened the products we made. Our vibrating screeners were round with different mesh screens depending on the product. The screeners were made to with the capability to use multiple levels with screens at each level. We could separate the product into as many sizes as we needed by using multiple screens and spacers.

I've been "seasoning" my barrels ever since T/C started promoting the idea. Haven't had any rust issues in forty years of shooting. That said, I haven't been able to crawl into the bore so I can get a close look at it.

You and I both, I've never used any synthetic products or detergent to clean my ML's rifle or smoothbore, only hot water and brush scrubs; then dry and a light oiling.

IMO, the ability to “season” a barrel like a cast iron frying pan has much to do with the grade/type of steel(iron content) that the barrel is made. My only ML that has the appearance/behavior of being genuinely seasoned is my Western Arms, Santa Fe Hawken which is over 40 years old, and, only cleaned with warm soapy water, stored/lubed with 3 in 1 Oil. The grade of steel appears to be different from most all my other muzzleloaders which generally clean bright.
I have a TC Hawken flintlock rifle that I have used the bore butter method on since I got it. That's been since 95.

I always thought that modern steels would be much "purer" and stronger than the locally made blacksmith stuff from back in history; I agree with you.
I'm not sure if I agree with you. The steel picked up by the barrel makers is not chosen because of it not being PURE. Of course you are going to have a different grade for a modern rifle. Different tools for the job

I've been "seasoning" my barrels ever since T/C started promoting the idea. Haven't had any rust issues in forty years of shooting. That said, I haven't been able to crawl into the bore so I can get a close look at it.
Me to and I have no issues to report

I think there's a lot to be said about dust and dust explosions. Any flammable dust in the right environment can be deadly from any heat source..
Philadelphia grain elevator explosion. I was 9 years old when this happened. We lived 3 miles away and it rattled our windows pretty good.

I think you have the process reversed in your mind.

The granulation process is such that the smaller grains and dust falls out first.

Regarding another 'myth' - The lower case 'g' refers to powder which has been glazed (polished) and does not indicate powder which has been mixed with graphite. Swiss powder is heavily graphited, which is why the grains are so shiny and silvery in appearance. Graphite is an impurity in gunpowder, and raises the ignition temperature / slows ignition, which in some applications is desirable. Graphite was also used in years past to improve the appearance of inferior quality gunpowder
Very interesting comment

Don't get an endoscope...It will depress you. It makes a gnat's dropping look like a great dane visited your bore.
Worse thing I ever did was borrow an endoscope! My go-to .32 cal under hammer target pistol had a bore that was so bad (under the scope) that I gave up using it for almost a year! I thought it must be luck that my scores were good.... Every tiny blemish looked like the bear that does it in the woods had done it in my bore! Never again.

Worse thing I ever did was borrow an endoscope! My go-to .32 cal under hammer target pistol had a bore that was so bad (under the scope) that I gave up using it for almost a year! I thought it must be luck that my scores were good.... Every tiny blemish looked like the bear that does it in the woods had done it in my bore! Never again.
It will drive an OCD clean and shiny bore person insane. Every pit looks like an open pit copper mine.

Philadelphia grain elevator explosion. I was 9 years old when this happened. We lived 3 miles away and it rattled our windows pretty good.

Nowadays they have figured out that there's a lot of different dusts that can be quite explosive when the conditions are correct. The cost for this knowledge came at a high price.

Yep! My Whitworth’s bore looks like the surface of the moon after a rust storm with a scope. It stressed me out.

Nowadays they have figured out that there's a lot of different dusts that can be quite explosive when the conditions are correct. The cost for this knowledge came at a high price.
Yes, some lessons have been hard learned.

Latest posts

Back