• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Myths

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While we strive to be as traditional as possible in our hobby, some more than others, there are a few elements that are very important today that didn’t exist 200 years ago, some not even a 100 years ago.
Take powder for instance, we spend a whole lot of time discussing the merits of 4F, 3F, 2F, 1 1/2F, and 1F. To the best of my knowledge in the 18th century there were only 2 grades of powder, coarse cannon and rifle grade. I’m no expert at this and I’d like to know the timeline of our modern grades. I’ve read that 4F didn’t originate until the 1930’s, curious if that’s true. Another myth is the use of a short starter. I’ve read that there’s no evidence of its use prior to the early 20th century (1920’s & 30’s). What’s your opinion of this and other “Myths”.

I'd like to know the answer also. Now, whether or not the manufacturer had much of a market for the finer grades I couldn't say, but I would think they would. Maybe they just remixed the finer grades back in with the next batch. Having stated my opinion, I think modern shooters may put a bit more emphasis on the different grades than our forefathers did. Regardless, I'm pretty fond of 3 and 4 F for the flintlocks and squirrel rifles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know for sure any of that stuff.
I was told there was 3 grades of powder. Cannon, Rifle, and Pistol. And the pistol powder was fine stuff equivalent to our 3f, 4f and null b as a mix.

I heard that short starters were not used back then, but I don't know for sure. Pretty sure most folks never used one, but the idea started somewhere and it likely was used by a small number of shooters for a long time before it caught on. That is just a guess.

All that stuff really only matters to the people who go to juried events. If you want to shoot for fun or game these considerations are not really important.

I was going to mention the short starter as possibly not being used back then but I didn't relpy in time. Another "myth" that I never heard a positive answer to is that you can't overload a barrel with powder. Anything over a maximum load would be just blown out the muzzles as unburned powder.

To the best of my knowledge in the 18th century there were only 2 grades of powder, coarse cannon and rifle grade. I’m no expert at this and I’d like to know the timeline of our modern grades. I’ve read that 4F didn’t originate until the 1930’s, curious if that’s true.
Not based on what I have read, but from what I have seen, 4F granulation (whatever it was call) and finer powder has been around for some time. I have opened up Civil War period cartridges (Smith Carbine) and found powder much finer than 4F in them. No photographs of the actual powder (Photobucket thing), but still have some cartridges that I don’t plan to open or shoot right now, because they don’t make all that many any more.
1650384350678.jpeg

Before I got into the black powder shooting I was lead to believe black powder was the most corrosive substance on earth and would eat a barrel to to dust after a few years.
I grew up hearing all the horror stories about real black powder. It was unpredictable, especially in a flintlock. After my first shot, I was ticked off at all the stupid rumors.

My father believed a sharp enough impact could cause black powder to ignite and as a result of this fear (unfounded) he never had black powder, he would only shoot pyrodex and had me afraid to use the stuff. I didn't shoot actual holey black until about 13 years ago. Was just sure it was a dangerous substance and likely to blow up...
Now I only shoot Black Powder and the last can of pyrodex I bought has been sitting in my stuff untouched for about 12 years now. Just prefer BP. I find it is less stinky than pyrodex.

If you leave an air gap of any size between the top of the powder and the bottom of the bullet, when you pull the trigger it causes the barrel to explode, destroy your eyes and fingers and kill the people either side of you. This is true because I read it on the internet. If mentioned enough times it becomes the truth.
This does not apply to those shooters who load their bullets 1/16” in front of their cartridges.

I was going to mention the short starter as possibly not being used back then but I didn't relpy in time. Another "myth" that I never heard a positive answer to is that you can't overload a barrel with powder. Anything over a maximum load would be just blown out the muzzles as unburned powder.
These guys did the full barrel load of black and two round balls (if I recall correctly, I watched it yesterday…brain is getting old). Anyway they did that and other things (using smokeless powder in a ML). Fun to watch…they destroy a couple guns.

The US National Park Service has on display a short starter on display. I can’t remember where now, but a RW battlefield. View attachment 182840
https://www.revwartalk.com/musket-ball-starter-and-powder-measure-tool/
There are those that question the date of that.
Museum of The Fur Trade also has an old one.
They are in loading manuals for Spanish Rifle forces in 1810 and other rifle forces at the same time used a ‘loading mallet’. Most ever matched set of pistols sold, ‘dueling pistols’ came with a short starter,again called loading mallet.
Did Dan Boone have one? Maybe not, or Jim Bridger either. But the were being sold by the time of the Oregon trail.
Ned Roberts mentions them, and while this is the 1930s it obvious he is speaking from his sixty years of ml experience
When DuPont opened his shop he was self F grade powders, and they were marked that way for rendezvous twenty years later

These guys did the full barrel load of black and two round balls (if I recall correctly, I watched it yesterday…brain is getting old). Anyway they did that and other things (using smokeless powder in a ML). Fun to watch…they destroy a couple guns.

If I tried what those guys did at the 3:45 mark, my viewers would crucify me.

Back