• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloading ... don't let THIS happen to YOU!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wow, big OOPSIE on my part ...

Shot the other day, cleaned the lock .... where I usually set it on a nearby basement forced hot air duct to dry, at least in heating season. But since it was 95-degrees out the other day and the duct was blowing cool air, I set it outside on a gorgeous sunny day, sitting on a bright stainless steel gas grill cover to dry.

And then I forgot about it ... and it rained ... and it hit 85-today. And here's what you get, haha!

Hey at least I can laugh about it and recover from it easily enough.

6E209DD4-63A8-45BD-AA44-F20DE754F445.jpeg

Shot the other day, cleaned the lock .... where I usually set it on a nearby basement forced hot air duct to dry, at least in heating season. But since it was 95-degrees out the other day and the duct was blowing cool air, I set it outside on a gorgeous sunny day, sitting on a bright stainless steel gas grill cover to dry.

And then I forgot about it ... and it rained ... and it hit 85-today. And here's what you get, haha!

Just tell everyone you want to be extra classy, and decided to brown the inside of the lock too. 😂
We all do the "forgot it!"
Thanks for sharing.
Larry

8-1 molasses (feed store type) to water, soak 2 days, rust be gone. IT WILL AFFECT BLUING.
Not needed, thanks ... as I use that special/proprietary 'Big 5 Metal Cleaner' which is like coiled monel, but of a hardness that is softer than barrel steel but harder than rust. Removes ANYTHING needed off of a barrel or whatever and it will not harm the finish. It truly is an amazing product, if one has never tried it!

Yes, I'll need to teardown the lock, but hey... it's likely due for a thorough disassembly, cleaning and re-lubing anyway :thumb: .

Link = Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner | Remove Rust from Gun Bluing and Clean Dirty Gun Bores Easy!

View attachment 147004
Man, I'd be seriously mad,,,, at myself of course.
Fixable, but I never appreciate an extra pain in the neck.

It's a good thing that, despite this lapse in memory, you are more competent and knowledgeable/experienced than some people seem to think you are.

Get a gallon jug of Evap-O-Rust and put the lock in a big jar of that. It will remove that rust and not hurt the metal.
DO NOT DO THAT. Evaporust will cause the springs to shatter. I know first-hand and afterwards, a guy sent me a nice link to a real study that shows this. Do NOT dunk a lock in evaporust.

DO NOT DO THAT. Evaporust will cause the springs to shatter. I know first-hand and afterwards, a guy sent me a nice link to a real study that shows this. Do NOT dunk a lock in evaporust.
That link would be greatly appreciated.

I've used Evaporust on many things, many times,,, but admittedly never on something with springs. I'd like to know what the difference is.

Yes, lets see this link about evapo-rust and springs. Im sure first time many have heard of such a thing.

Yes, lets see this link about evapo-rust and springs. Im sure first time many have heard of such a thing.
It surely was to me. I had a brown bess lock in a plastic dish overnight. Went up, looked okay. A while later, I hear womanly yowling and go up. Evaporust all over. Parts on floor. "What did you do?" says I. Argument insues. Eventually, I see a hole blown in the side of the dish.

I'll look. I have to work today, driving to Ohio and relay has been late. Killing me.

Back