• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloading deer and elk seasons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naphtali

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Among states having muzzleloading only or simultaneous muzzleloading and bow hunting seasons, which ones still have Blaze Orange mandatiory for those specialty seasons?

Montana, for example, has no muzzleloading special season. MLs are hunter's choice during the general gun season. Montana has, however, several muzzleloading only (or possibly ML and bow??) occurring in some numbered areas. Since none is near where I prefer to hunt, I haven't investigated anything about them beyond noting that they exist.

Maine does.. IF the deer /elk are color blind ,as we are told,shouldn't make any difference I hunted in Southern New York,Woodhull/Elmira area,blaze orange was mandatory,,still killed deer,see 52 deer the first morning, last time I hunted there.
Blaze orange in Maine,hunters are not getting shot but deer are,nothing like NY/PA for deer kills but doable.As a Hunter Safety Instructor,I support the Blaze Orange.

Vomir le Chien said:
Maine does.. IF the deer /elk are color blind ,as we are told,shouldn't make any difference I hunted in Southern New York,Woodhull/Elmira area,blaze orange was mandatory,,still killed deer,see 52 deer the first morning, last time I hunted there.
Blaze orange in Maine,hunters are not getting shot but deer are,nothing like NY/PA for deer kills but doable.As a Hunter Safety Instructor,I support the Blaze Orange.

I beg to differ. I have hunted 30 miles from Elmira and in NY state since 1980 and never has blaze orange been mandatory.

Dave

I hunted in Woodhull,Steuben Co.Could it be the county you were in did not require Blaze Orange.When I hunted there ,it was no rifles or Sunday hunting but some counties allowed both !!

The rules are set by the state and way back when we were no Sunday hunting or rifles here in Tioga County as well. Steuben County has been the same. Both counties are in the Southern Zone and had the same rules. They have been opening county by county for rifle but again NY State sets the rule. Never mandatory orange.

Just checked with a couple of my hunting buddies who are retired from the DEC. One was a NY safety instructor and the other one lives in Steuben County. NY does not have and never has had a mandatory orange law. Most smart hunters wear it but not mandatory.

Dave

I stand corrected,I checked with my buddy in Woodhull and he says, never mandatory but, a great idea with all the "Citieots"that watched a hunting show or two,,,,We always did so I just figured it was mandatory,,,My hunting buddy said it was his "mandatory" wearing of the Orange on his farm...

Kansas requires hunter orange during muzzleloading and in the regular firearm season by firearm hunters.

No orange required during bow season by bow hunters.

ANYONE who hunts redardless of the season is a F.....O.....O...L. WHO DOES NOT WHERE BLAZE ORANGE.

Last deer I short in NY was so close he had the plastic shot wad in his chest,his breathing is what made me turn and look.

Yep. Straight outta the Big game brochure.

HUNTERS MUST WEAR
DAYLIGHT FLUORESCENT ORANGE
Law requires hunters to wear at least 500 square inches of SOLID DAYLIGHT FLUORESCENT
ORANGE material on an outer garment above the waist while hunting deer, elk, pronghorn, bear or
moose with any firearm license. A fluorescent orange hat or head covering, visible from all directions, is also required.
This includes all muzzleloader hunters. It also includes archery hunters who hunt during rifle
season. Archers hunting during a limited bear season or archers hunting with an archery bear, deer,elk, pronghorn or moose license do not have to wear fluorescent orange but should consider wearing
it to increase safety while in the field. Auction- and raffle-license holders do not have to wear orange when hunting with archery equipment when no rifle seasons are open. If using a ground blind or pop-up blind, hunters should display orange that is visible from all directions on the outside of the blind.

CAMOUFLAGE ORANGE DOES NOT QUALIFY! Mesh garments are legal but not recommended. CPW strongly
recommends wearing daylight fluorescent orange clothes in the field, even if you’re not hunting. Wearing orange is for hunter safety, big-game animals don’t see orange like we do. Movement, sound and smell are what give hunters away

years ago I was small game hunting during the bow season. I was wearing blaze orange. walking along a path some one said, your running why hunt I was here first. I looked up and a guy was almost impossible to seen. he was wear total camo.

with all the regulations california has we are not required to wear orange. lucky i hunt in a wilderness area and don.T see, many hunters. i did hunt in canada an had to wear white,

Mort Scott said:
with all the regulations california has we are not required to wear orange. lucky i hunt in a wilderness area and don.T see, many hunters. i did hunt in canada an had to wear white,

Wearing white in a deer woods sounds dangerous, to me. Some new or unethical hunters might shoot at white, thinking it is a deer's tail........robin :idunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
Blaze orange affects people differently and aside from the fact that it does actually prevent shooting deaths, some still persist in the notion, mainly because they don't like gov't mandatory "dressing rules" while hunting, that they should determine what they wear....camo or whatever.

Of course they're wrong, but in spite of the decrease in shooting injuries and deaths due to wearing blaze orange, I propose that exemptions should be available to those who object and allow them to wear whatever they deem suitable.

But before they are issued exemptions to wear whatever they like, a signed waiver of liability for the "shooter" should be a requirement.

This arrangement would accommodate all those who object to wearing blaze orange and relieve all the other hunters of liability who might mistake these "objectors" as quarry....Fred

I tend to agree the be sure of your target should be easy enough if your not an idiot it's what's behind the target that gets rough with camo. Some places are so dense you can barely pick out someone wearing orange let alone in camo. Kinda why I'm not a big fan of guys using ground blinds in rifle either.

In Maryland the first deer season is bow only..., so you don't need orange then, BUT in all the other seasons you do, even when using a bow during those other seasons.

However, on property that you own or lease..., you are not required to wear blaze orange. If you are hunting on another's land with permission, or if you are on public hunting lands, you must wear orange.

I add a blaze orange "cape" to my shoulders when hunting in my hunting shirt, PLUS I add a blaze orange Voyageur hat. One thing folks forget is the first thing that the other hunter sees is your head, when you are on the other side of the hill, walking past, or coming over the hill...

As was pointed out..., it's when you are at a distance that you may have a problem..., even on your own land, the fellow on the next property can't begin to know not to shoot in your direction when he's 100 yards from the property line and you're in the trees without orange. I also don't know about other folks woods, but my area is full of maples, and at certain times, when the trees are in full color, the orange helps a person blend with the foliage...not stick out.....

I also hunt from a ground location..., and I always post a piece of orange cloth on the backside of the tree behind me. It lets folks know I'd appreciate not throwing rounds into the trees on either side, nor the tree to my back.

LD

Back