• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloaders and firearm laws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse

40 Cal
Reaction score
I've read different posts where it is sometimes mentioned that some states consider any muzzleloading handgun or long gun a firearm. Do residents of those states have to have a serial number stamped on the barrel? I know repros from the large manufactures come with one to satisfy import laws but how about custom made guns with no serial numbers heading to these restricted states? I live in a state where no BS laws like that apply but who knows what the future holds in store for us all.

To be clear: In CA the way the law is written is that any device that propels a projectile by means of an explosion IS a firearm. Above a certain caliber I.E. cannon is a destructive device. Some municipalities are even going as far as classifying air guns as firearms.

Dunno. Plenty of cartridge guns made before 1968 don't have serials (I own three at the moment)
So, plenty of the older firearms didn't have them. Funny thing, though, ran across a Winchester 73 that did. The owner of the Pawn Shop where it was, swore that it was original and not a reproduction.

A gal I know carries her Mother's vintage pistol. In NY where they came from, he Mother had to engrave the SSN into the slide to register it.
The daughter carries it everyday. We kinda wonder if its still registered in NY...

My Dad had a Remington 501-1 .22, made sometime in '20's-'40s that didn't have a serial No. Plus a Marlin lever-gun in .30WCF that didn't have a serial No. So, plenty of the older firearms didn't have them. Funny thing, though, ran across a Winchester 73 that did. The owner of the Pawn Shop where it was, swore that it was original and not a reproduction.
Some guns were always serial numbered, some were not. It was up to the manufacturer before the 68 Gun Control Act in the US required it for modern guns. Winchester serial numbered most of their guns, the only exceptions being some of their cheaper models (mainly single shot 22's and single shot shotguns). Some companies only put serial numbers on a few models. Modern made muzzle loaders don't fall under the Federal requirements for numbering but mass produced guns are usually numbered. Mainly for inventory control I would suspect as well as to be in compliance with any applicable foreign laws in the countries many are made in

To be clear: In CA the way the law is written is that any device that propels a projectile by means of an explosion IS a firearm. Above a certain caliber I.E. cannon is a destructive device. Some municipalities are even going as far as classifying air guns as firearms.
guess thats were the new ...ill go with witch we have got her idea.

Some guns were always serial numbered, some were not. It was up to the manufacturer before the 68 Gun Control Act in the US required it for modern guns. Winchester serial numbered most of their guns, the only exceptions being some of their cheaper models (mainly single shot 22's and single shot shotguns). Some companies only put serial numbers on a few models. Modern made muzzle loaders don't fall under the Federal requirements for numbering but mass produced guns are usually numbered. Mainly for inventory control I would suspect as well as to be in compliance with any applicable foreign laws in the countries many are made in
Probably for warranty purposes as well.

Maybe not quite on point, but: I read a post earlier in which the member mentioned loading his shotgun with lead shot. Don't know where he is from let alone his applicable law. Lead is a no no here.
I have heard of Game Commission officers examining hunters' shot shells. Has anyone had a warden ask you to pull the load from your ML for a look see?

My Dad had a Remington 501-1 .22, made sometime in '20's-'40s that didn't have a serial No. Plus a Marlin lever-gun in .30WCF that didn't have a serial No. So, plenty of the older firearms didn't have them. Funny thing, though, ran across a Winchester 73 that did. The owner of the Pawn Shop where it was, swore that it was original and not a reproduction.
It could very well have been original.
As far as I know, all Winchester 1873’s were serial numbered.
Mine certainly was, pre 1900.

Maybe not quite on point, but: I read a post earlier in which the member mentioned loading his shotgun with lead shot. Don't know where he is from let alone his applicable law. Lead is a no no here.
I have heard of Game Commission officers examining hunters' shot shells. Has anyone had a warden ask you to pull the load from your ML for a look see?
HI SOLANCO, NO LEAD SHOT IN PA.??

Lead shot is legal in PA except for migratory birds and waterfowl.

Lead shot is legal in PA except for migratory birds and waterfowl.

That is a Federal thing - all migratory game is non-lead only.

GCA 1968 required serials on long guns, NFA '34 required 'em for pistols and regulated non-firearms (suppressors, machine guns, destructive devices, AOWs, SBRs, SBSes).

Just picked up another old single shot 12ga today, no serial.

Another fun thing is that like our muzzle loaders, any individual firearm made prior to Jan 1 1899 isn't regulated or considered a firearm unless it is something NFA regulated. Old Winchesters, Springfields, some Mausers, some Mosin-Nagants, all sorts of stuff ....

Watched one of the Game Warden shows. Warden cut apart a shot shell to see if it was lead or steel shot.
He DID ask if the shooter had a receipt showing if he bought lead or steel shot shells.

Latest posts

Back