• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader wont fire.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that @rt2bowhunter has cleared that brass bristle that was catching some fouling from the flash channel, he is getting better reliability. Now he needs to keep that bore brush in the safe with the Dremel Tool, only to be used in the direst of emergencies. I do think that based on his need to use substitute powders that require so much heat from the cap through that very long flash channel, he needs a Hot Shot or Substitute compatible nipple and magnum or RWS 1075+ caps. What he was using lost all its heat by the time it reached the obstruction.

I understand some of y’all don’t like the subs, but they aren’t nearly as bad as they’re made out to be. I’ve shot Pyrodex in loose and pellet form for years. The only time I’ve had a fail to fire it was my fault. No rust issues, no weak shots, or any of the other complaints commonly stated. Just a different path to the same goal.

I jumped right on the pattering board. I shot 4 times and had one snap. But it fired the 2nd cap. I agree I need better powder no question. But at this time I have what I have. No hope of having any delivered because of heavy ice on my driveway. So I’ll order some before Turkey time. If at all possible.
Thanks again guys you was a huge help.

Most importantly you solved your problem, but both 777 and pyrodex likely aggravate your situation. I have shot triple 7 extensively and have a long familiarity through my main ML partner shooting Pyrodex. The 777 requires a much hotter primer. a 777 specific primer is mfg for inlines for this, as this is the main market target of the powder. pyrodex is used by quite a few patch and ball shooters, but it also is best served by a hotter primer and does NOT like damp or cold conditions...much more so than even black powder.

Back when i was really into using these rifles. All i used was black powder. But i bought a T/C encore muzzle sold it. When i bought the rifle some 25 years ago. It came with a 54 cal barrel. I replaced it with the GM roundball barrel. And never fooled with this barrel all i might have shot it a time or 2. Then i learned about the 56 SB barrel. Liking to run my rabbit dogs and not crazy about trying to kill every rabbit on the place. And loving to Squirrel and Turkey hunt. I thought that would be cool so i went to work and now i got one :). Probable should have been more up front about that.

But it shoots really good i think. And the firing problem seems to be fixed. If i can find some hotter primers and or black powder i will get it. I remember the real black powder was much better. I'll probably try the RS tomorrow sometime weather permitting.

I have been using Muzzleloaders for years. But i'm up against it lol. I have cleaned and dried the barrel several times. I used a pic to clear the flash hole even ran a .243 brass brush and could fill the brush and pic rubbing. I can see and blow through the nipple. I can blow through the barrel. When i snap a cap it blows out the barrel ( no sparks just air). This morning i loaded about 20 grs and a over shot card. Fired 2 caps and nothing the caps are snapping and are loud.

I thought ok my old (years) powder has got damp. So i bought a new can of RS i had (old) 777. Didn't help at all.

Any ideas?
Put in more powder.

I have been using Muzzleloaders for years. But i'm up against it lol. I have cleaned and dried the barrel several times. I used a pic to clear the flash hole even ran a .243 brass brush and could fill the brush and pic rubbing. I can see and blow through the nipple. I can blow through the barrel. When i snap a cap it blows out the barrel ( no sparks just air). This morning i loaded about 20 grs and a over shot card. Fired 2 caps and nothing the caps are snapping and are loud.

I thought ok my old (years) powder has got damp. So i bought a new can of RS i had (old) 777. Didn't help at all.

Any ideas?
Try putting about 45 grains of powder and then a shot card , with 20 grains and a shot card the powder may be blocked from ignition by the card with that small amount of powder !

We got him treed now boys LOL. I had all but gave up then i thought i'm going to give it a good soaking. So i set the barrel on a tilt breach lower. And sprayed a good bit of PB Blaster in it. After it soaked for about a hour. I cut a piece of weed eater string and started to digging around. Then i pulled the old devil out. There was a piece of wire from a bronze brush came out with the weed eater string. And i guess was gumming up the works. Plus there might have been some crud the PB Blaster eat up.

I wiped it dry and fired a cap bingo it blew a hole in the snow. Like the 50 cal did. I shot another and it did the same. I then wiped the bore out again with a clean patch. And loaded 40 grs of 777 and a wonder wad on top. I got a little hang fire but it fired.

Thanks a bunch guys for all the help. We got Fire in the pipe :).
Good job! Those bronze brushes can cause some issues for sure!

Is this a case where an endoscope would have helped? They're only about $12 on Ebay, work easily with a cell phone, and are useful for a number of things. Unfortunately, the one I have isn't small enough to get into the .20-cal.-ish patent breech of my Crockett rifle, though it does allow me to see in there reasonably well. But otherwise, it's very effective and would likely show up manure in the bore or breech. I also use it for examining tubing and aligning valves in my tubas!!

Is this a case where an endoscope would have helped? They're only about $12 on Ebay, work easily with a cell phone, and are useful for a number of things. Unfortunately, the one I have isn't small enough to get into the .20-cal.-ish patent breech of my Crockett rifle, though it does allow me to see in there reasonably well. But otherwise, it's very effective and would likely show up manure in the bore or breech. I also use it for examining tubing and aligning valves in my tubas!!
I would think it would have been a good tool to have. What had me stumped was the pic showed it clear. Air passed through when blew through every way there was to blow through it. Even the 243 brush and pic hooked up lol. I wasn't really a pic. I used a tip cleaner for a cutting torch. But whatever works right.

In a good 30 ish years of shooting a muzzleloader this was a first for me.

Good idea

I teach hunter safety, and we use 777. It is not stored in ideal conditions. The misfires that we have had are directly due to MY errors in not clearing the barrel of excess oil for the first shot of the day on occasion. Here are some tips that may help. When you load, leave the hammer at half cock. After dumping in the powder, slap the side of the stock opposite the lock - with a reasonable amount of strength. You want to make the powder settle and move into the flash channel. Try that and see how it works. Oh, after cleaning, store the gun barrel down so that excess oil doesn't settle in the flash channel and cause it to clog.

I got my ol' 12ga dubble barrel cap lock out yesterday. I haven't shot it in a couple of decades and the only powder I have on hand for it is some Pyrodex RS that dates back to the last time I was shooting it. My caps date back to at least that far back as well. The first shot was a dud, but I think that was the cap as it wasn't as loud as they normally are. Another cap on it and it fired but with about as much delay as a flintlock. I fired it about ten shots all together and all but that first went off, but with that little delay. Yep, gotta get some FFg and hotter caps.

I shoot with my next door neighbor.
whenever we shoot (Both usually both shooting TC's because that's all he has") he uses 777.
he will have FTF after FTF. every time he removes his nipple and i give him some fffg to trickle into the Snail. never fails to fire.
usually while he is futzing with his gun i will have fired 3-4 shots with my BP.
777 and the other subs will work, sometimes, but BP seems to always come to the rescue when it doesn't. YMMV

From what I understand, Triple Seven was designed for use in inlines with straight ignition. I experimented with it in sidelocks a while back but had nothing but failures to fire with the stock nipple. I switched to the Spitfire Magnum from Mountain State Muzzle Loading Supply (photo attached). It has a cone-shaped outlet that spreads the spark out. It fixed the problem and everyone I know that has used them has had the same results.

I've also been using Remington caps for the past 15 years. They say that they're 40% hotter. Hotter than what, I don't know but I usually get 100% ignition from a tin of caps.

Walt

A note to the OP, congrats on figuring out the problem! As far as BP vs subs, with the powder shortage, I say shoot whatever you can find for now!

Attachments

• 19-14126__37065.1402337144.220.220.jpg
    19-14126__37065.1402337144.220.220.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Is the powder actually making it to the drum? Is the spark making it through the flash channel? Just cause you could get contact with the brush doesn't mean there isn't something in the way..... I would pour powder turn the gun drum down and give it a couple bumps with my palm and then ram the ball, And would consider pulling the nipple off then and seeing if there is powder in the drum. Then once you are assured you are actually getting powder in the flash channel try it. There's nearly no way it could not ignite that way provided the nipple is clear.
Sounds like bad caps or cap not fitting right

Back