• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloader Type/School

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egreis

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all:

I am in the very primary stages of investigating a potential future flintlock long rifle build. I want to build a rifle that is appropriate for the area I shoot and hunt in. I am most interested in pre-Revolutionary wooden patch-box type examples. All my modern firearms are very muted wood/blued steel and I am not a big adornment guy. So more functional than fancy is my target.

My property is located in southern Butler County located in Western Pennsylvania about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh. It is just east of George Washington's 1753 Expedition route. From my research, at that time, it was under the control of Delaware Natives. Several nice arrow points have been found on the property through the years. With that being said I am would like to build a rifle from the 1750 - 1770 period. Practical more than artistic and good for both target shooting and whitetail hunting.

What are the best kits, schools, looks for this project? Would love to see some images of rifles fitting this bill.

Thanks!

Kibler Colonial. There are other good -sets, but this is gonna be the best combination of quality, easy to assemble, and generally looks the part for the time and location you're after.

The other part-sets require significantly more work to complete. However, they will allow significantly more options for style, barrel length, etc. in the event you find a specific rifle you want to recreate.

Kibler Colonial. There are other good -sets, but this is gonna be the best combination of quality, easy to assemble, and generally looks the part for the time and location you're after.

The other part-sets require significantly more work to complete. However, they will allow significantly more options for style, barrel length, etc. in the event you find a specific rifle you want to recreate.
I agree, the Kibler Colonial rifle is an excellent choice.

Also the Kibler Woodsrunner, it’s much the same style but a bit shorter and lighter. Both come in different calibers.

Hi all:

I am in the very primary stages of investigating a potential future flintlock long rifle build. I want to build a rifle that is appropriate for the area I shoot and hunt in. I am most interested in pre-Revolutionary wooden patch-box type examples. All my modern firearms are very muted wood/blued steel and I am not a big adornment guy. So more functional than fancy is my target.

My property is located in southern Butler County located in Western Pennsylvania about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh. It is just east of George Washington's 1753 Expedition route. From my research, at that time, it was under the control of Delaware Natives. Several nice arrow points have been found on the property through the years. With that being said I am would like to build a rifle from the 1750 - 1770 period. Practical more than artistic and good for both target shooting and whitetail hunting.

What are the best kits, schools, looks for this project? Would love to see some images of rifles fitting this bill.

Thanks!
Not sure if he is still doing it, but check out Mike Brooks, an amazing gun builder. The price was $150 per day at his shop I believe, and he would teach you whatever you wanted to learn for as long as you wanted to learn. Have thought about making the trip to Iowa myself, but that’s quite a ways from North Carolina. Still might happen if he continues to offer the opportunity.

MIke is retired from taking orders. He is clearing out his backlog and building what he wants. Maybe to sell and maybe for himself. He's also selling castings.

Hi all:

Thanks!
That's an interesting part of the State. Most people outside of the re-enactment & blackpowder community aren't aware of the import of the French & Indian War. (The F&I) to Washington, and the control of the Eastern Continent by England over France. Yeah, Kibler sounds good!

Also the Kibler Woodsrunner, it’s much the same style but a bit shorter and lighter. Both come in different calibers.
Yeah, look at one of these. If they'd been announced when i built my .50 last year I'd have waited for one. I didn't love the build process for my Isaac Haines style as much as I'd thought, so I'm not looking to build another gun, but the Kibler would have been better for the time I really wanted to invest. I'd really recommend this one for a great sized all-around deer/woods rifle.

Latest posts

Back