• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Muzzleloader Storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am lucky enough to have a big walk-in vault. All the walls are lined with "slatwall" salvaged from a retail building we bought. All the muzzle loaders are displayed horizontally on one wall section. I have a couple of safes for guns not on the wall, and change the themes of the displays every couple of years.
I had my programmer son build a temperature/ humidity control system, and keep the humidity between 25-30%, which seems to be the best compromise to keep rust away without drying the organic materials out too much.
I understand that a vault is not an option available to everyone, but it does give me a great deal of peace of mind.

How do you store your traditional muzzleloaders, muzzle up, muzzle down or horizontal? Does it make a difference and if so why?

Thanks

Muzzle down for any fine wood-stocked long gun. In a sock. Barrels are heavy. Stocks begin to crack under the long-term effect of gravity. Ever notice how many long guns have cracks at the wrist after several decades stored horizontal? Butt stocks are heavy, too! Worst way is at a steep angle, butt down. Lots of bending/breaking stress at the wrist.

Latest posts

Back